Verizon Signal - Searching

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Today and last week I've noticed random periods where instead of Verizon, the carrier name is replaced with Searching. Both instances have been at my workplace. Once on the first floor, and today on the third. Typically I have two or three dots on any floor minus the basement.

Tried toggling Airplane Mode to On, waiting for ~ 30 seconds, and then toggle Airplane Mode to Off. In both instances, this made no difference. Powering the phone Off, and then On does make a difference. iOS is 7.0.2.

Just wondering if others are experiencing a similar situation where toggling Airplane Mode does not make a difference in regaining signal.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's possible Verizon is having some tech issues near your workplace... if it becomes a regular occurrence, talking with Verizon and opening a network trouble ticket may be in order.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Losing signal happens to me occasionally, but it's so brief (never more than 30 seconds) that I don't worry about it.

If yours is a problem, maybe try resetting Network Settings, or call verizon and ask if there is a carrier update to install.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

Duplicated the issue again today. Tried toggling Airplane Mode On/Off twice. Had to power cycle to regain signal.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
This happen to me yesterday I had to do airplane for 30 sec than it came back

Happened again yesterday on 7.0.3. I tried two 30 second intervals with Airplane Mode On. Did not regain signal. A power cycle fixed it.

Also noticing LatestCrash-MobilePhone.plist in Diagnostics and Usage Data. Not sure if there's any correlation with that crash and the intermittent issue noted in the thread.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The same signal loss happened a few more times. Also noticed the Signal Dot level hovering around one even outside of the workplace. Flipping Airplane Mode to On/Off worked in that case and the normal four to five dots were regained.

Fast forward to this past weekend, and the 5S was only able to gain one dot at home. Normally we are getting in the four to five range on a consistent basis.

So as an informal test, I've been carrying my Note 2 this week. Signal strength at home is solid five bars, and between three to four at work depending upon location within the building. After leaving the basement, toggling Airplane Mode off immediately gains solid signal.

While the above data points are insufficient to draw any conclusions, early results could indicate:
1. 5S may have an issue with regaining consistent signal lock after coming out of Airplane Mode
2. Verizon may be having ongoing service quality issues in my work and home areas (as Keith noted above)
3. The fact that Note 2 signal has been flawless for two days compared to the roughly one month with the intermittent 5S issues is not yet statistically significant to determine causality or correlation

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
After a month, I believe I have sufficient data to determine that the work signal integrity, availability, and reliability is roughy the same. Noticed similar periods of low signal, and switching to 3G. Back to iOS.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
In the event it helps anyone else experiencing similar symptoms, the problems noted above have been reproduced more than once with a different new 5S, and with two different SIMs. Same use case, same location. Power down/up resolves the problem.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Happened again yesterday. Two power down/up and one hard restart didn't make a difference. I finally gave up and made a plan to stop by the Apple store on the way home from work. After about 10 more minutes I checked the phone again and was surprised to see a pop up for "iPhone Activated". Signal had regained but at 3G. Toggled Airplane Mode Off/On, and then 4G came back.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Happened again yesterday. Two power down/up and one hard restart didn't make a difference. I finally gave up and made a plan to stop by the Apple store on the way home from work. After about 10 more minutes I checked the phone again and was surprised to see a pop up for "iPhone Activated". Signal had regained but at 3G. Toggled Airplane Mode Off/On, and then 4G came back.
Have you tried doing the *228, then press 2.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Good suggestion. Had not tried that before. "This number is not allowed" is what I get on three attempts.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Good suggestion. Had not tried that before. "This number is not allowed" is what I get on three attempts.

228 does not work on 4g LTE phones prl such are updated automatic .. I'm glad they blocked it before when LTE was new 228 would fry the SIM card and you would have to get another to fix your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative