Verizon pushing it's upgrade fee to $30

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will implement it starting on 4/22:

Here's the press release:

On April 22, Verizon Wireless is implementing a $30 upgrade fee for existing customers purchasing new mobile equipment at a discounted price with a two-year contract. This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.

While the upgrade fee is not unique to Verizon Wireless, most devices can be traded in with our green friendly trade-in program at https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...//www.verizon.com/od/trade-in/&token=COlXKnoY as a way to save money or potentially offset the fee completely.

Link below:

Verizon pushes its upgrade fee to $30 on April 22nd -- Engadget

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.

in short; bend over and like it?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My Mum just upgraded her phone in January and there wasn't any upgrade fee. How can they "increase" an upgrade few when, supposedly, there wasn't one in the first place?!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's an earthenware vessel teeming with bovine processed feed-grains.

Indeed. The previous fee of $18 was egregious... this is beyond obscene. #moneygrab

And, of course, you know what's coming now... AT&T, Sprint & T-Mo will announce plans to follow suit within days...

stewm

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
This is rediculous, if they are going to charge an upgrade fee then they should charge it and show it as part of the actual upgrade price for the device so that the price is inclusive. Just like they should include all local taxes and fees when they quote a price for the service or for devices and stop this hidden fee's.

I remember when they replaced a federal fee that was discontinued with an administration fee of their own and used the reasoning that they didn't want us to be confused by a sudden drop in their cell phone bills! They cancelled that plan after the uproar over it.

Then they decided that the early termination fee should be whacked up.

Now they want yet another 'administrative' fee to be increased, almost doubled, quite how they can justify this fee.

Personally I think they should spread this cost over the 24 months of the contract or the 20 months they run the new every two scheme and include all their mystery fee's in the actual cost of the plan instead of making them little hidden extras among the state and federal fee's and taxes.

It is time that Verizon and AT&T and all the carriers were honest and up front about the actual fee's and stopped making these extra little fee's to improve their bottom line on the sly. If it costs me $100 for my contract and $15 for taxes then I want the taxes to be only state and federal taxes and fee's I don't want to see hidden administration charges designed to cream off extra profit and avoid the carrier breaching the terms of their own contract with us that they will not increase the 24 month contract price that was agreed! They would be less likely to screw with the customers if the risk of losing their customer to another carrier was increased.

I

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is rediculous, if they are going to charge an upgrade fee then they should charge it and show it as part of the actual upgrade price for the device so that the price is inclusive. Just like they should include all local taxes and fees when they quote a price for the service or for devices and stop this hidden fee's.

I remember when they replaced a federal fee that was discontinued with an administration fee of their own and used the reasoning that they didn't want us to be confused by a sudden drop in their cell phone bills! They cancelled that plan after the uproar over it.

Then they decided that the early termination fee should be whacked up.

Now they want yet another 'administrative' fee to be increased, almost doubled, quite how they can justify this fee.

Personally I think they should spread this cost over the 24 months of the contract or the 20 months they run the new every two scheme and include all their mystery fee's in the actual cost of the plan instead of making them little hidden extras among the state and federal fee's and taxes.

It is time that Verizon and AT&T and all the carriers were honest and up front about the actual fee's and stopped making these extra little fee's to improve their bottom line on the sly. If it costs me $100 for my contract and $15 for taxes then I want the taxes to be only state and federal taxes and fee's I don't want to see hidden administration charges designed to cream off extra profit and avoid the carrier breaching the terms of their own contract with us that they will not increase the 24 month contract price that was agreed! They would be less likely to screw with the customers if the risk of losing their customer to another carrier was increased.

I

The problem is we, the little guys, have NO options... we're locked into contracts and they have us by the short hairs... It sucks, and there ought to be a law... but it is what it is...

Elaine5006

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sheesh. upgrade fee? I will probably not upgrade as often. Good thing the iPhone is a quality product and not prone to degrade quickly like some of the androids.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not worried about it even though I don't fully understand what this means. It's only a one time fee of $30, not a big deal

It's $30 every time you upgrade your device... and the point of it all is that it was a money grab at $18... at $30, it's obscene. These "service providers" know no shame...

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I only upgrade once every two years so it's not a big deal to me. $30 isn't going to break the bank for me (seems like it will for a lot of other people in here). If people can afford to buy expensive phones at retail, then this shouldn't be a problem for them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We, as consumers, are underestimating our power. The problem is a lack of unity as well as a willingness to accept what we're given as 'just how it is' and 'we can't do anything about it'. But since we are too eager to have the latest & greatest, we sign their contracts & tolerate the nickel & diming even though we gripe & moan about it. You'd be surprised at how fast companies would back down if we the consumer stood unified in opposition of something. That's my take on it, anyway.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I only upgrade once every two years so it's not a big deal to me. $30 isn't going to break the bank for me (seems like it will for a lot of other people in here). If people can afford to buy expensive phones at retail, then this shouldn't be a problem for them.

i think you're missing the point here. yes, we all know that we can pay this without a problem

point being, if 4000 customers upgrade every day then some corporate **** is filling their pocket twice the amount, or whatever, as they used to. for what reason, is why people are getting mad

with your analogy then why not just make it $100 every couple of years. would that be fine with you?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices