Verizon iPhone 5?

MrDJL

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading online that the Verizon iPhone 5 ships unlocked. CNET even said a Verizon spokesperson confirmed it. But when I spoke with at least a dozen (not joking) Apple in-store and corporate representatives, in addition to one Verizon representative, I was told the iPhone was locked to Verizon. When I asked them if they were sure each time they told me yes. I have T-Mobile, and have saved up the money for the unlocked iPhone. But you guys know how it is with waiting...especially when it's your first iPhone. I know the nano-sim cards for T-Mobile won't be available until mid-October, and I'm fine having the iPhone not able to make phone calls right now. My question is, are the ones currently shipping unlocked? Based on what I've seen, I'm sure the pre-order ones ship unlocked. But I want to be sure that the Verizon ones arriving tomorrow are unlocked so when I get my nano-sim card next month, everything will work properly. I was told that you don't need to be a Verizon customer to buy the Verizon phone in store, and that's what I plan on doing.

Please get back to me with your thoughts, as I'm interested in what all the tech-experts have to say.
Thanks in advance!!

MrDJL

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Being that T-Mobile is GSM, and I don't have a data plan, I will only be using the phone for talking and texting. Does everyone else seem to agree that the Verizon iPhone 5 can be used on T-Mobile's networks?

Also, could Verizon do a software update that disabled this ability?

hh72385

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Being that T-Mobile is GSM, and I don't have a data plan, I will only be using the phone for talking and texting. Does everyone else seem to agree that the Verizon iPhone 5 can be used on T-Mobile's networks?

Also, could Verizon do a software update that disabled this ability?

I don't mean to rain on your parade but what's the point of having an iPhone without a data plan

MrDJL

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to rain on your parade but what's the point of having an iPhone without a data plan

Haha, don't worry about that. I seem to get it a lot. To be honest, I don't need a data plan. Most of the time when I need to access something on the internet, I'm in a place with WiFi that I can connect to. So in my mind I don't really see myself needing one.

thewolfsage

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Haha, don't worry about that. I seem to get it a lot. To be honest, I don't need a data plan. Most of the time when I need to access something on the internet, I'm in a place with WiFi that I can connect to. So in my mind I don't really see myself needing one.

Same here. I'm usually near a wifi connection when I need to go online. Honestly I wish I could either have unlimited data (I'm on Verizon and used to have the grandfathered unlimited plan. I would have paid the unsubsidized price for my phone to keep it, but I couldn't afford it) or just let me but my phone without a data plan and use it over wifi only since I don't use my cellular data anyway for fear of overage charges.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What about 3G? Being that I don't have a data plan, and that I'm with T-Mobile, I don't have 4G - only 3G.

Let me ask you a question. Would it really be that much cheaper for in the long run if you paid full retails for a Verizon model to use on tmo vs switching to Verizon and buying one subsided for 200? Right now you ca get unlimited mins and texting and 1gb of data (of which you say you won't really need) for 80 bucks month with access to Verizon's LTE network. I'm sure you know what you're doing I was just really curious because tmo although cheaper for me wasn't that much cheaper for my needs especially if I had to drop that much on an unlocked phone.

TheMaccaUK

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Who told you that you don't need to be a Verizon customer to buy a Verizon iPhone in store? I've been doing a lot of research on this as I'd like to buy a prepaid Verizon iPhone 5 for exporting to the UK, but have been told by multiple forum users there is no such thing. You can only buy a Verizon/Sprint 5 on a 2yr deal.

This seems to be true if you try to buy the 4S from eithers web site. There is no off-contract or prepaid option available

siddfinch

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi all - I've been doing some reading up on this. Is there a downside to using someone else's upgrade on Verizon, then getting a nano SIM fro AT&T and using it on their network? Can I still use simultaneous calling/data on AT&T if I do it this way? Will it work on AT&T's LTE?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
the thickness does matter - i cut down an non-active SIM i had lying around for grins, and had to shave down the thickness before it would fit... the slot on the phone housing is only so wide