Verizon iphone 4 upgrade to iphone 5??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
you will be stuck with the contract you sign. verizon isnt going to let everyone upgrade if they have the iphone 5 in the summer which right now is all speculation. I personally think they will wait to release their next iphone as an LTE phone which most likely wont be until a year or so.

I disagree .. I bet iPhone 5 uses same baseband as Verizon iPhone 4 and is one model that supports all carriers ... LTE will be iPhone 6 (When att, verizon, and possibly t-mobile all have their LTE networks providing much better coverage.)

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I disagree .. I bet iPhone 5 uses same baseband as Verizon iPhone 4 and is one model that supports all carriers ... LTE will be iPhone 6 (When att, verizon, and possibly t-mobile all have their LTE networks providing much better coverage.)

I completely agree. iPhone 5 will not be LTE. We would have seen leaks of the chip by now. iPhone 5 will likely be this summer, unified design for all carriers, and possibly CDMA Rev. B which would allow voice and data to Verizon users. Then the usual speed/spec bumps. iPhone 6 will be the LTE and wow upgrade in 2012, where shortly after launch, early Verizon iPhone 4 adopters will be eligible for an upgrade.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Thats what I said that the next iphone would be LTE and the Iphone 5 wouldnt so what exactly are you disagreeing??

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm betting that the iPhone 5 will be on Verizon- it's the reason why I didn't get the iPhone 4.

The way I see it, there are two possibilities in June:
1) iPhone 5 is another major upgrade, no 3GS-type upgrade. Why? Because the speed at which Android handset manufacturers constantly upgrade/release new hardware puts Apple at a disadvantage in the latest and greatest race. So Apple has to make this one count, it has to be like 2-3 cycles ahead of the current crop of Android phones to stay ahead and keep up until next June.

2) iPhone 5 is a iPhone 4GS. BUT... the iPhone nano is released as well. So the big driver of iPhone sales in 2011 will be at the mid to low range with the nano. The iPhone 5 will sell as well but given the "4GS" upgrades, but there will be that "it's just a iPhone 4" mentality and sales could not be a robust due to the competition with Android.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Adambomb13#IM

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Verizon Iphone from Best Buy and got FREE buy-back service which means with 6 months I can return it for $300.00 towards a Iphone 5, So I will pay $300.00 out of pocket to upgrade to Iphone 5 when/IF it hits Verizon

Adam

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
What if instead of an iPhone 5 they release the rumored "iPhone nano" ? 1/2 the cost and size of the iPhone 4 to fight android phones in the lower price points?

Just some food for thought, technically would be a new iPhone

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What if instead of an iPhone 5 they release the rumored "iPhone nano" ? 1/2 the cost and size of the iPhone 4 to fight android phones in the lower price points?

Just some food for thought, technically would be a new iPhone

Very true but depends how small it is on how many people will want to buy one. Not everyone likes tiny phones.

doxiedad#IM

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
True but not everyone wants a flagship model either. iPhones only come that way while android comes in high and low end. If apple can make a smaller, less expensive entry level iPhone without sacrificing the experience they will probably be able to sell everyone they can make

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
True but not everyone wants a flagship model either. iPhones only come that way while android comes in high and low end. If apple can make a smaller, less expensive entry level iPhone without sacrificing the experience they will probably be able to sell everyone they can make

I agree I think if they could make it like the iphone 4 maybe with lesser specs for cheaper than it would sell alot as a entry/mid level device

Uplink

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
lol I always wait the full 2 years to upgrade my phones. Just get the iPhone 4. It's good enough already, then when the iPhone 7 comes out, you can get that one, and it won't have even mattered if you got the 5 instead of 4, because then you would have the 7. :p

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Verizon Iphone from Best Buy and got FREE buy-back service which means with 6 months I can return it for $300.00 towards a Iphone 5, So I will pay $300.00 out of pocket to upgrade to Iphone 5 when/IF it hits Verizon

Adam

That's a rip off. You can sell it for more then that on CL. At least $400, possibly even more.

Reactions: Adambomb13#IM

reyxlp

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The original iPhone got two "refreshes" (iPhone --> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3GS) before a completely new model (iPhone 4) was released. You make a lot more money selling new model with a few updates but the same basic design than selling a completely redesigned model.

There is no reason to think this will change with the 4. If there is a new phone this summer, it will likely be an "iPhone 4x" ('x' being whatever the upgraded designation they give it) rather than an iPhone 5. My guess is we will see the same progression as with the original iPhone, so this summer would bring some updates, then summer 2012 would bring the "iPhone 4G" offering "so-called 4G" and LTE capability, among other updates, with the "iPhone 5" being a complete redesign coming out in summer 2013. It would be very unlike Apple to release a 4G/LTE iPhone while only a few markets enjoy that capability and also so early in the technology's life where it is still new and untested. The last thing Apple, AT&T and Verizon want is a repeat of what happened with AT&T iPhone customers and all their issues on that network, especially early on, some still today.

If Verizon does end up on the same Apple summer iPhone upgrade cycle as AT&T, I would be completely shocked if Verizon didn't allow iPhone 4 owners some kind of discount or loyalty promotion to facilitate upgrading to the new variant, otherwise I think they would burn a lot of goodwill with the original batch of iPhone 4 buyers.

Last edited:

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The original iPhone got two "refreshes" (iPhone --> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3GS) before a completely new model (iPhone 4) was released. You make a lot more money selling new model with a few updates but the same basic design than selling a completely redesigned model.

There is no reason to think this will change with the 4. If there is a new phone this summer, it will likely be an "iPhone 4x" ('x' being whatever the upgraded designation they give it) rather than an iPhone 5. My guess is we will see the same progression as with the original iPhone, so this summer would bring some updates, then summer 2012 would bring the "iPhone 4G" offering "so-called 4G" and LTE capability, among other updates, with the "iPhone 5" being a complete redesign coming out in summer 2013. It would be very unlike Apple to release a 4G/LTE iPhone while only a few markets enjoy that capability and also so early in the technology's life where it is still new and untested. The last thing Apple, AT&T and Verizon want is a repeat of what happened with AT&T iPhone customers and all their issues on that network, especially early on, some still today.

If Verizon does end up on the same Apple summer iPhone upgrade cycle as AT&T, I would be completely shocked if Verizon didn't allow iPhone 4 owners some kind of discount or loyalty promotion to facilitate upgrading to the new variant, otherwise I think they would burn a lot of goodwill with the original batch of iPhone 4 buyers.

How do they make more money selling a refresh? What if they can make a completely redesigned phone for cheaper? They dont need to make a refresh of the model to make more money. Although I do agree I cant see Apple making their next iphone 4g until it is more widespread and they have more time to test it. Also idk if Verizon would allow users to upgrade I mean they dont do that with android phones and a new android comes out pretty much every few months.

reyxlp

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
How do they make more money selling a refresh? What if they can make a completely redesigned phone for cheaper? They dont need to make a refresh of the model to make more money. Although I do agree I cant see Apple making their next iphone 4g until it is more widespread and they have more time to test it. Also idk if Verizon would allow users to upgrade I mean they dont do that with android phones and a new android comes out pretty much every few months.

Well, you're right, I don't know for a fact, but do you really think it could cost less money (r&d, testing, etc.) to issue a completely redesigned new model than a refresh or upgrade/update of an existing one? I don't know. I would be really surprised.

Yeah, very true about the Verizon Android phones, but there's only one model of the iPhone and Apple also has a huge say in what Verizon/AT&T do with it, moreso than the Android handset makers, I would imagine. I think if they released a new iPhone on Verizon this summer, they would be stupid not to let current VZiP4 owners upgrade under some kind of "less-than-full-retail" deal. All of us on these forums really get into this stuff but I doubt the average consumer skipped on the VZiP4 planning instead of picking up a newer VZiP this summer. There just won't be that many people to buy a new VZiP this summer if they don't let current VZiP4 owners upgrade at some kind of discount over full retail, I think. No?

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, you're right, I don't know for a fact, but do you really think it could cost less money (r&d, testing, etc.) to issue a completely redesigned new model than a refresh or upgrade/update of an existing one? I don't know. I would be really surprised.

Yeah, very true about the Verizon Android phones, but there's only one model of the iPhone and Apple also has a huge say in what Verizon/AT&T do with it, moreso than the Android handset makers, I would imagine. I think if they released a new iPhone on Verizon this summer, they would be stupid not to let current VZiP4 owners upgrade under some kind of "less-than-full-retail" deal. All of us on these forums really get into this stuff but I doubt the average consumer skipped on the VZiP4 planning instead of picking up a newer VZiP this summer. There just won't be that many people to buy a new VZiP this summer if they don't let current VZiP4 owners upgrade at some kind of discount over full retail, I think. No?

Yeah but the companies are already losing money when they give subsidies to allow customers to upgrade so if they gave people a discount for the iphone 4 and then do it again for the iphone 5 I dont think verizon wants to lose that money. Why do you think they changed the return window to 14 days, and also no more NE2 and yearly upgrades on 2 year contracts. Verizon already has people in with the iphone 4 I dont think they care if people ***** and moan they do that now with android phones so what makes this any different?

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
There WILL be a NEW iPhone this coming summer, the iPhone 4 is OLD now get over it Verizon peeps! Since it first came out there has been a new iPhone EVERY YEAR, what don't you people understand, just because Verizon got in the game LATE doesn't mean the iPhone 4 is new to anyone. Have you not heared Apple's Cook speak on the subject? He said the reason they release the iPhone 4 on Verizon so late is because Verizon customers were dying for it, per Cook and Verizon's Chief Honcho!

The iPhone 4 was released like clockwork JUST like the 3G and 3GS, just like the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 WILL BE this summer. Wether Verizon will get the new iPhone this summer like AT&T will :)D) is up in the air, but rest assured there will be a new iPhone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh