Verizon bamboozled me! (People who switch devices needed!!)

WhitePhone

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, last week my iPhone 5 charger broke and I activated my Pre 3 (I do this occasionally anyway) till I got another charger. Now I got a charger and here I am ready to switch back to my 5 on the VZW activate/switch section of the site. Note, I've activated and switched devices using this more times than you can comprehend. So anyway, I go through the normal procedure and after the SIM card screen, I get the same old same old change your data plan screen (I don't know what the point of this ever was when you're not going to nor need to change your data plan) . But it always gives me the option to keep unlimited selected (I'm grandfathered and my contract is not even over yet). I've switched between 3G and LTE devices many times I can always pick unlimited and press ok with no problems. So I'm just chillin through the process as usual, then, "your device isn't compatible pick a new data blah blah (the standard thing that happens every time). Okay, scrolling..... time to pick unlim.....OHHHHH MY GODDDDDD!!! My worst fears have been realized.... I'm presented with only tiered options. I cancelled out of the page course. Now I'm stuck on my Pre3. Has Verizon axed unlimited across the board now even for changing ESN's??? I would think that would be a contract violation since mines not up until March 17. I'm thinking and hoping to god its just a website glich. I could call in, but before dealing with those uninformed goofs, I thought I'd ask here if anyone else that is a frequent device switcher has seen this.
Thank you all

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I believe you're going to have to call customer service or visit a store to put your iPhone back on your line to keep grandfathered unlimited data... and I believe you'll need a new SIM because Verizon's systems will not reactivate a previously used SIM that was deactivated.

WhitePhone

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
That's what I figure will probably happen, shouldn't have to go to the store though, just call in considering I keep new unopened LTE SIMs around the house (haha I can be such a nerd).

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
WhitePhone please keep us updated with how you make out!! I am very interested.. I have Verizon Unlimited Data on my Iphone 5 and I always fear every move I make will loose the Unlimited Data. My fear is if my phone ever has problems and Apple swaps my phone with a new one, that when I go to activate the new sim in the replacement phone that I will loose my unlimited data! I have read in forums before that someone received a replacement IP5 from Apple in the mail, didn't think about it and put his old sim in, phone worked fine, but when he checked his account on the verizon website it said unknown device, said some features maybe limited, and he lost his unlimited data! It took him forever to have to put back on, and corporate did not want to do it! Anyways..please advise how you make out.. Thanks!!!!

RescueEMT911

WhitePhone

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
RescueEMT911,

I just called in an hour ago and got this resolved. No need to worry, because I never lost my unlimited! It was a glitch in the system. The guy I talked to was a very knowledgeable and kind guy. He got me up and running in no time. He says sometimes he sees this conflict when switching between 4G and 3G devices, though I've never seen it before till now. So if you switch to a 3G device and your unlimited data is "gone". Just call in :)
Verizon themselves states that you can switch devices (and buy retail price devices) without changing your plan. I believe if they did this, it would be a violation of contract anyway. So when it comes to switching devices, have no fear, you don't lose unlimited its just a glitch in the website/system. Just call in and hopefully you get someone like the guy I talked to.

Hope this helps

PS: As a bonus, they also now have the technology to reactivate LTE SIMs!! (within 90 days, of course). They reactivated my nano SIM without a hitch. No more throwing away SIM cards and buying backups, as long as you reactivate within 90 days.

BTW: If apple replaces your phone, there is no reason to activate the new SIM in it. Just take the SIM from the old phone before they take it from you and put it in the replacement device. Activating the new SIM would be completely unnecessary. That's crazy what that person went through. Should have never happened! I got my 5 replaced twice and put the old SIM in with no problem. I guess sometimes it depends who you get on the phone... oh well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro