Using third-party exercise apps and Apple Health

torbjornhb

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
Hello.

Just got the Apple Watch, but there's one thing I'm wondering about using third-party training/exercise apps. For each app, you must allow them to write / read data to and from Apple Health. Will this lead to double registration of all training sessions in the Health app?

Had previously activated this from Garmin Connect and another app, and it led to everything being doubled in Apple Health.

Thanks for all answers :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think so. Those apps should only sync their information with the Health app.

torbjornhb

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
Thanks a lot.
I might give it a try. As far as I know it's also possible to select what app you want to delete recorded data from, so if it counts doble, I'll just delete it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Will this lead to double registration of all training sessions in the Health app?

Had previously activated this from Garmin Connect and another app, and it led to everything being doubled in Apple Health.

Thanks for all answers :)

Yes and no. I use a Wahoo Kckr bike computer attached to my iPhone and use Fitness+ cycling workouts (the Wahoo app shows distance and cadence, the watch app shows heart rate and red ring info). And, that's the key for me: Apple Health recognizes that I did 45 minutes of workouts, as the two were collected at the same time. It doesn't mis-report them as 90 minutes, it doesn't double the green ring minutes, it doesn't double the red ring active calories.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot.
I might give it a try. As far as I know it's also possible to select what app you want to delete recorded data from, so if it counts doble, I'll just delete it.

I just wanted to say hello and welcome to iMore! We’re glad you found us!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've used Abvio - Cyclemeter, Runmeter, all pretty much the same - years before the Apple Watch and since. It does not double count, or if it appears so might show it as entries but not in calorie count.

The app itself measures sports not in the Apple Watch and seems more accurate for some. Apple measure of mountain biking is horrible for example and expects you to be going much faster for high calorie count. That app better measures a hard or easy road or off road ride. It also lets you write to Strava and other services in addition to Apple's Health. Make sure you know it requires phone.

torbjornhb

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
One thing I've noticed, or at least it seems to be true, is that Apple Health keeps counting steps when you wear your iPhone and Apple Watch is charging. But streif from Apple Health doesn't show up in the Apple Watch app...
Someone that can confirm this?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've noticed, or at least it seems to be true, is that Apple Health keeps counting steps when you wear your iPhone and Apple Watch is charging. But streif from Apple Health doesn't show up in the Apple Watch app...
Someone that can confirm this?

Yes, I believe that this is true. The steps in the Activity app on the watch are only reporting the steps recorded while wearing the watch, and not steps recorded by your iPhone when not wearing the watch. In fact, I had my watch charging for about an hour this morning and my watch shows 9658 steps, the Health app 9843 steps. I am not going to go to the trouble of totaling steps for each device, but I am sure that the difference is the period when I was not wearing my watch. (There was a period of time, very brief, when I was wearing the watch and not carrying the iPhone by the way.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro