• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Using Skype on the iPhone/iPod Touch

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Is Skype a worthy alternative to standard phone on the iPhone? I have used it on the iPod Touch, and it works reasonably well, but that is using a 4g hotspot. Does 3g cut it on the iPhone?

HyperGo

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Skyper for quite sometime now ...

I have 2 North American subscription accounts for myself and for my wife that we're using on our iPhone 4 (3G mode) with no problem.

:)

Reactions: pogeypre

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. That's good news. Just had some thoughts about overseas travel and using skype would work that way too. Sounds like a win.

Anyone out there had a bad experience with Skype?

HyperGo

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I was in Asia last Aug ... JB my iP4 (untethered) to use the local network carrier and used Skype to call back in Canada. I guess the 3G network (PH) back there is not as stable as we have here in Canada but its tolerable :)

Reactions: pogeypre

pogeypre

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I know there is a ton of difference in so called "3G" networks. For example, using an iPhone on the "4G" network of t-mobile, I get 700 kbits per second which to me is 3G speeds.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman