Using one iTunes account for multiple family members

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been using one iTunes account since iTunes was born. Over the years we've added multiple devices for spouses, kids etc. but have maintained one iTunes account so we can all share music, apps etc. Anyone else who has done the same knows it can be tricky when it comes to device settings regarding iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime. It's also a bit of an issue when say, someone receives an iTunes gift card and applies it to our one account that everyone pulls purchases from. Especially when one has subscriptions for which the auto billing can get pulled from the gift card balance and then the person with the gift card looses the gift balance. How do others manage there iTunes accounts among family members (spouses, kids etc.) with multiple devices? Is it a better idea to create separate iTunes accounts for each member? Would we loose the ability to share all the music and apps we've purchased so far on the one account? Just wondering how others manage their devices in regards to iTunes accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Most people I have read posts from that are EXACTLY in your situation do what you are doing but create seperate accts for each one and still maintain a MAIN acct for billing and to know who is doing what. You can still share from the main acct and in fact by creating the seperate accts you can place limits on them also so they are not taken advantage of. Here is a start...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Most people I have read posts from that are EXACTLY in your situation do what you are doing but create seperate accts for each one and still maintain a MAIN acct for billing and to know who is doing what.

Is that possible? For example if I create a separate account for two other family members won't they then have their own billing, iTunes libraries etc? And what happens to the content that's already on their devices?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Most people I have read posts from that are EXACTLY in your situation do what you are doing but create seperate accts for each one and still maintain a MAIN acct for billing and to know who is doing what. You can still share from the main acct and in fact by creating the seperate accts you can place limits on them also so they are not taken advantage of. Here is a start...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203

Ah hadn't seen your link originally. I'll check it out. Thanks!

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
What if I were to simply remove/sign out of an iTunes account on a device and create a new account...would any purchased content currently on the device be kept?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What if I were to simply remove/sign out of an iTunes account on a device and create a new account...would any purchased content currently on the device be kept?

I would leave everything as you have it but create individual accts, I know you read the article and to be honest Mars it would not hurt to call Apple iTunes support and even ask them. What the heck unless you think the article helped but I would not get rid of what you have.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I would leave everything as you have it but create individual accts, I know you read the article and to be honest Mars it would not hurt to call Apple iTunes support and even ask them. What the heck unless you think the article helped but I would not get rid of what you have.

I'll read it over more closely. Just a little apprehensive when it comes to altering computer folders/files.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll read it over more closely. Just a little apprehensive when it comes to altering computer folders/files.

I don't blame you and I would not do anything until you feel comfortable, That was why I suggested calling iTunes support at Apple.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
What your basically going to do is keep the same account for iTunes and separate accounts for iMessage and iCloud. Unless I'm missing something.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
What your basically going to do is keep the same account for iTunes and separate accounts for iMessage and iCloud. Unless I'm missing something.

I guess I'm not really sure. Was looking for input from others in the same situation. I guess if possible I'd like to create separate accounts without losing purchased content that's already on each device. I'm thinking that can't be done though.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh by all means this is just my opinion and I hope many others that are in your situation chime in and give you some good ideas. Happy Easter and good luck coming up with the right solution for your family. :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
What she said. It's annoying and could be done better. Hopefully apple provides a better way in the future. If I could sort purchases with tagging that would be great. Such as "kids".

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
You can create separate iTunes/AppStore accounts and you won't lose everything on the device. However when those apps need to be updated, that person will need to know the old account's password to get app updates.
If people don't mind switching which iTunes/AppStore account they are logged into, if something is purchased on account x, and they are using account y, they can log out of account y and into x, go to the Purchased tab and download that app, music, etc. and then log out of account x and back into their account y.
Yes I know this works because I didn't want my kids to use my main iTunes account (linked to my credit card), so they have their own accounts which they occasionally put gift cards on to buy stuff. But occasionally, I'll buy something for them on my account and so I go thru the account shuffling routine above and it works fine. I do have to enter my password if/when they need to update apps I loaded for them.
One caveat-I know this works for apps and music, but not sure about video like TV or movies purchased they Apple. It's possible you have to be signed into the appropriate iTunes account to play the video due to DRM being tied to the account that purchased it. I've just never tried it because if my kids want a movie I still buy the DVD and rip it.
One more thing?for apps, any in app purchases made in an app must be made using the same account that originally purchased the app, so you can't buy an app and load it on the kids' device and have them using their own money if they want to purchase purchase power ups or whatever for a game.

Yup I do this a lot with my little brothers account and mine. He likes my music so he'll log into my account download my music and maybe an app I bought and then log out and log back into his account and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods