Using iPhone Safari at work

apheliongirl

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I got a new iPhone and during my break, I checked out a youtube video on my iPhone's Safari browser. We are not able to go to Youtube at work due to company policy. So soon after I watched a longish video, one of our techies came to our floor with a device, speaking about "triangulating" whoever had a bluetooth device and was watching youtube. Luckily, I was able to power down my iPhone before he located me, but now I'm afraid to even bring my iPhone to work.

Does my iPhone use my company's network or bandwidth when I surf the web on it?

I thought it would be OK to watch youtube on my iPhone since I'm paying for the bandwidth through my data plan with Rogers.

When I checked my settings, I noticed that my wifi setting was disabled. What does that mean?

Thanks for help from a not so tech-minded girl.

Bucketofried

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
That is really strange. They should have no control over or be able to monitor what you are doing on your phone. Did you have bluetooth enabled? Without wifi on you are using your own bandwidth on your own device which should not be a violation of company policy.

Syncopations

Jun 8, 2009
www.authenticragtime.com
That's...not even right. I would suggest you turn off your bluetooth, wifi, and Location Services. You are using your own connection, which in no way does it effect the company. If they are "triangulating" with bluetooth, disabling it should fix that problem. If they are using your cell signal, that's a major invasion of privacy and should be taken up with higher management.

bosox0898

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I would make sure your wifi and Bluetooth are both off at work and they shouldn't be able to see anything you're doing on a cellular data network.

Besides that, you were on a break and they shouldn't be able to do anything about a non company owned device that you are using on your own time.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
He may have just been messing with you... if you were on the companies wifi network, then may.

apheliongirl

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi and thanks for the responses. Apparently he checks periodically to see how far our bluetooth devices broadcast (our managers use Crackberries) because I work for a government agency and we have privacy issues. A colleague who knows him spoke with him and he said it was no problem for staff to use their own iPhones on breaks after all but that he detected a bluetooth device and wanted to make sure it wasn't one of ours.

So everything is OK. I have wifi disabled and everything seems OK.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
johnny power ranger. every office has them. they feel they need to inflict their 'authority' upon the masses. then they return home to their epic comic collection in mom's basement just in time to make good with their Guild leader. "NOT NOW MOM! WE'RE ABOUT TO RAID UTGARDE KEEP, GEEEZ!"

tee hee ;)

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I work for a government agency and we have privacy issues.

I'd LOVE to know the agency that you work for because unless something REALLY changed in the last couple weeks, I wasn't allowed to bring my cell phone into the NSA building the last time I was there and my uncle who's been there for over 30+ years hasn't been able to take a cell in either. Camera phones are banned for sure in ANY .gov buildings. I worked as a contractor for 4 agencies and wasn't allowed to bring in any cell phones what so ever in any of the buildings and it wasn't due to my level of clearance either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal