Using AT&T on a Verizon iPhone 6?

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello all, I am considering purchasing a used iPhone 6 from a friend. It is a Verizon branded phone but unlocked and he is using it on T-Mobile. I have AT&T service. What and if any would be the complications of doing this or draw backs of any kind. possible service issues? Do these phones all have the same radios? How does this work because a long time ago if you had a Verizon phone (CDMA) you definitely couldn't use it on AT&T network. Thanks in advance!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Using AT&T on a Verizon iPhone 6?

Inserting an activated AT&T SIM card should be all you need to do. At least that's all it took with the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5S.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I used a Verizon iPhone 6 (they are factory unlocked) with AT&T since November. No issues, it works.

C.K400

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Everything should work, but say goodbye to LTE

This is definitely not true. After extensive research and answers here I have found this as fact, the Verizon iPhone 6 and 6+ are considered world phones. Fact, They are unlocked from the factory and support Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Straight talk and cricket and so forth. Fact, I have AT&T and I got the phone today and have my SIM in it and everything works perfect including LTE. Fact, The Verizon phones are identical to AT&T and T-Mobile except for they support CDMA networks as well. Conclusion, most versatile phone. Works over seas and in North America. It also supports VoLTE witch is voice over LTE but is not fully functional across the US but is growing. Like I said if you wanna be flexible get the Verizon version no matter what carrier you have and you will be able to switch carriers any time you need to and use the same device. I am very happy with mine. No need to change APN settings or anything, when you put the SIM of your carrier of choice it automatically sets it up for you.

anon(8708013)

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm all the posts here. I'm using the Verizon iPhone 6 on AT&T (GoPhone $45 plan) and it's working beautifully with full LTE! It's completely unlocked on the GSM side.

Last edited:

RizSher

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Using AT&T on a Verizolpn iPhone 6?

Excellezont bit of information. One query though, would a Verizon iPhone 6 with an AT&T or t-mobule Sim allow simultaneous voice call and cellular data?. This has been a problem on Verizon before (I checked on a new Verizon Samsung S6 with a T-Mobile Sim, the moment you make a call, cellular data would stop working until you are hung up), in fact Verizon "fixed" this by way of VoLTE on the iPhone 6, but that would require being on Verizon.. My query is, Verizon phone, non Verizon network, do data+voice work simultaneously?..

Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Using AT&T on a Verizolpn iPhone 6?

My query is, Verizon phone, non Verizon network, do data+voice work simultaneously?..
yes... And even on Verizon now where they've deployed Voice over LTE simultaneous voice and data is possible...

RizSher

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
yes... And even on Verizon now where they've deployed Voice over LTE simultaneous voice and data is possible...

That's the bit I'm worried about, VoLTE sounds to me like VoIP, so, in actual fact, it's not true data while on call as the voice call is also on, and presumably , where there is no lye,lor the data conndction is not good enough, Verizon phones would route the audio call through the traditional way, and , I guess lose the ability to have simultsneous voice and data.

maxwelcs

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I have been testing out the Verizon iPhone 6 with other carriers. While I am not sure if early adopters of the phone will need to have them unlocked prior to the law changes in the U.S. (I think back in November 2014), but I do know that the phone works flawlessly with T-Mobile (4G LTE) and AT&T.

Test #1 Used a T-Mobile 4G LTE Hotspot SIM (Just Data) and mapped it to the IMEI number on a IPhone 6. Test was successful, but couldn't make calls since it was initially setup for data only and obviously mapped to another IMEI.

Test #2 I purchased a AT&T SIM for the iPhone and mapped it to the IMEI number on their website. I turned off the phone, inserted the SIM, powered up the phone and boom, got service and text message from AT&T. I had previously requested to unlock my phone prior to this, so I am not sure if unlocking is required first. When trying to insert the SIM without powering down the device first, the phone did not recognize it when performing my test.

Test #3: I purchased an AT&T SIM to use in my T-Mobile Samsung Hotspot Pro. I did call the company to have the T-Mobile device unlocked prior to changing the SIM (you have to have an active account to unlock the device). Initially, I couldn't get service just by inserting the SIM, I had to map the SIM to the devices IMEI number on the AT&T website first and apply GoPhone funds to the account. It takes about 10-15 minutes before the signal initiated. This works great now, just more expensive than T-Mobile.

My understanding is that all 4G LTE by law cannot be locked, but I do believe 2g and 3g may still be locked on some phones with certain carriers.

Verizons Unlocking Policy:
verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods