Using 5s for hot spot

rockfisher

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Newbie here. What are the down sides of using 5s to provide hot spot for my iPad
Using to much data,chewing up batteries ect.
Thanks for the info

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There are no real 'downsides'... just things to beware of... and you've already noted them... battery and data allowance on your plan.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I use it for my air in the car if I need a bigger screen it works perfect! No need to buy a 4G air when you can tether from your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I use it for my air in the car if I need a bigger screen it works perfect! No need to buy a 4G air when you can tether from your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

I was using my iPhone as a hotspot for the longest time, the only downer for me was the hit on battery life. I then discovered that my iPad with it's larger battery not only received a slightly stronger signal, it would go multiple hours as a hot spot and not have near the battery drain. On a side note if I had my iPhone plugged in to my computer while it was in Hotspot mode it did seem to hold it's charge.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was using my iPhone as a hotspot for the longest time, the only downer for me was the hit on battery life. I then discovered that my iPad with it's larger battery not only received a slightly stronger signal, it would go multiple hours as a hot spot and not have near the battery drain. On a side note if I had my iPhone plugged in to my computer while it was in Hotspot mode it did seem to hold it's charge.

Yea the iPad gets longer battery life for hotspot, I've heard of some people getting up to 24 hours with the screen locked ;)

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The only issue you could face is if you're actually using your iPad in a work function (iWork apps or email functionality) where internet connection is providing you a feature set. If the data stream is interrupted, you could lose work progress. That is really the only "issue" i could see from the whole data tethering function.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods