Users take to Apple's website to complain of early scratching on iPhone 11

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. What a pity. It’s Apple’s fault that they’ve scratched the display of their new iPhone. SMH!

There are cases and screen protectors to purchase for the sole purpose of protecting the iPhone from sustaining minor scratches and damages.

I suppose I should blame BMW for not making my car immune to bugs and debris.

I agree. Way too many users blame phone manufacturers like Apple or Samsung for the phone breaking when they drop them etc. I’ve seen quite a few comments like this on AC as well.

If the phone is already damaged upon opening the box, it could be Apple’s fault or the delivery company...there could be many reasons as to why the phone is scratched.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree that neglect likely played a part in some of these claims but there has also been a spike in units delivered with scratches already on them. Mine was one of them. I opened the box, peeled off the plastic, and there was already a scratch across the front of the display. When I reported it to the Apple Store the manager told me they’ve been seeing a ton of returns claiming units came with scratches already on them. It seems to me that there’s been an issue at some point in the manufacturing process.
Yes, it’s the user’s responsibility to take care of their devices but if Apple is claiming this is the strongest glass ever put on an iPhone it is perfectly reasonable that someone could do what they’ve always done with their phones and expect the display not to scratch. There are always going to people who mistreat their stuff and refuse to take responsibility for it but a sudden spike in reports of scratching isn’t normal. Sometimes Apple messes things up. It’s okay to admit that.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I really don’t understand this thread, why would you not put a screen protector on your phone ?
The minimalists who like the object enough to want to use it as it was made, I can understand, maybe. This of course means treating an object,a thing, as if it were a newborn infant of your own blood, and anything bad that happens to it is your own fault.
On the other hand, normal people usually take care of their possessions, particularly if they are prone to damage.
Surely allowing damage to a known fragile object and then complaining about it’s manufacture is a form of attention seeking ?

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
My launch day was damaged and scratched out of the box. That is something I complained to Apple about and I should have my replacement this week.

I have AppleCare and don’t use screen protectors or cases most of the time. If it gets scratched, I will NOT complain to Apple about that. That’s a choice I make.

Just saying.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree that neglect likely played a part in some of these claims but there has also been a spike in units delivered with scratches already on them. Mine was one of them. I opened the box, peeled off the plastic, and there was already a scratch across the front of the display. When I reported it to the Apple Store the manager told me they’ve been seeing a ton of returns claiming units came with scratches already on them. It seems to me that there’s been an issue at some point in the manufacturing process.
Yes, it’s the user’s responsibility to take care of their devices but if Apple is claiming this is the strongest glass ever put on an iPhone it is perfectly reasonable that someone could do what they’ve always done with their phones and expect the display not to scratch. There are always going to people who mistreat their stuff and refuse to take responsibility for it but a sudden spike in reports of scratching isn’t normal. Sometimes Apple messes things up. It’s okay to admit that.

You saw my pics. Those were more than scratched on mine, they were damn GOUGES, but the overlay was pristine.

There were definitely manufacturing issues.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Surely allowing damage to a known fragile object and then complaining about it’s manufacture is a form of attention seeking ?

Are you not reading the posts from known, trusted forum members who said theirs came damaged already? Doesn’t that make a lightbulb go off that it may be more than “attention seeking”. Can’t we be more classy than this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I don’t think anyone would have a problem with situations like yours and yours is different from someone causing the scratches themselves and then blaming Apple. My brand new naked iPhone 11 Pro Max is kept in my back pocket when I’m out and about. When I’m at work, it is typically facedown on my desk and you know I don’t have a case or screen protector on it. Yet, there’s not a scratch, scrape, nick, ding, doing, crack or spit on it.

I do not pamper my iPhone, but I also understand that things happen and that one day it may get scratched. Am I gonna run out and blame Apple for it? Nope. Am I gonna scream from the hilltops that the display was not strong enough to resist scratches? Nope.

I see teenagers walking around with the entire screen spiderwebbed so I’m sure I can go about living my life with a mere scratch on my display (if it ever occurs) without blaming Apple for its cause.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you not reading the posts from known, trusted forum members who said theirs came damaged already? Doesn’t that make a lightbulb go off that it may be more than “attention seeking”. Can’t we be more classy than this?

The pictures provided were of deep scratches to one area of display. What was missing was lot of micro scratches to accompany it.

A manufacturing defect from the factory is not the same as “more prone to scratches.”

Don’t really understand what your reference to class has to do with “manufacturing defects.”

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My launch day was damaged and scratched out of the box. That is something I complained to Apple about and I should have my replacement this week.

I have AppleCare and don’t use screen protectors or cases most of the time. If it gets scratched, I will NOT complain to Apple about that. That’s a choice I make.

Just saying.

Your situation is understandable and acceptable because it was damaged upon arrival. That is not what we are disputing. We are disputing those who have damaged the devices themselves, whether intentional or accidental, and then blaming Apple for it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Way too many users blame phone manufacturers like Apple or Samsung for the phone breaking when they drop them etc. I’ve seen quite a few comments like this on AC as well.

If the phone is already damaged upon opening the box, it could be Apple’s fault or the delivery company...there could be many reasons as to why the phone is scratched.

Exactly!....and the consumer would have a legitimate gripe!...

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Your situation is understandable and acceptable because it was damaged upon arrival. That is not what we are disputing. We are disputing those who have damaged the devices themselves, whether intentional or accidental, and then blaming Apple for it.

Exactly. I loathe screen protectors and don’t use them. I remember my X had a scratch from my pocket within two weeks of buying it - and that was my fault and I didn’t blame Apple. That’s the risk I take by using it naked.

Some of the pictures in that support thread look like someone took sharp objects to the screen...

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

If it was damaged in the box itself, then either the delivery company or Apple itself is to blame. Automatically blaming Apple for your own carelessness is silly, but if the model is defective that raises questions.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner