Used 1.5 GB's in 5 days using MyWi. AT&T just sends a overage charge data alert

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Hey all. I've been tethering my phone for about 5 days and ran up data for 1.5 GB's in those 5 days until my comcast cable issue got resolved. But anyway at&t sent me a text when i reached 65% and than when i reached 90% on my data plan. I have the 2GB data plan for $25. But whats even more suprising is each 1GB of data used over your plan is only a $10 charge. I'm paying $12.50 for each GB of data on my plan but when I go over that data I'm only paying $10 for every GB over that, lol.

Also been tethering off and on for 2 years now and never got a tethering charge from my carrier. Just don't go extreme with it. There seems to be alot of false rumors that when you tether your carrier bills the crap out of you.

So at&t wants to charge me $45 for the basic tethering plan. Or can pay an extra $10 per 1GB over my current 2GB data plan. I'll choose what I've been doing.

FYI - PDAnet,TetherMe,MyWi all work on ios5 gm

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Nobody ever said the AT&T. Plan was the best way to go. It's just that the terms of service you agreed to prohibit you from tethering without it. I've got no problem with using my data that I pay for however I choose though. I don't use mywi though.

AT&T will likely find out sooner or later and they will just throw the pricy tethering plan on your bill without you knowing about it. That's the part that worries me.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Nobody ever said the AT&T. Plan was the best way to go. It's just that the terms of service you agreed to prohibit you from tethering without it. I've got no problem with using my data that I pay for however I choose though. I don't use mywi though.

AT&T will likely find out sooner or later and they will just throw the pricy tethering plan on your bill without you knowing about it. That's the part that worries me.

I don't do this all the time. Only like if I have a comcast cable internet issue. Or I travel with my girlfriends laptop and the hotel doesn't have wifi. About 10 out 12 months a year I stay under the 2GB of data. One month I only used half a GB of data. I just recently switched from 3GS to Iphone4 which I'm exchanging the 14th so i've been playing catch up on apps, etc. But I didn't have internet service for 3 days and used the phone. I have been doing this tethering thing for 2 years or so on my Iphone3GS. AT&T is after extreme users. I haven't heard of anyone getting a tethering plan added to there contract for normal data usage. 3 or 4GB's of data in 2 months out of the year isn't a redflag. I've heard of people using crazy amounts getting redflagged