Upgrading to iPhone XR on VZW - Questions about fees, SIM, etc.

hondo211

May 3, 2019
Visit site
Hello. Newcomer here, first post.

My wife (iPhone 5c) and I (iPhone 5s), VZW customers, are FINALLY about to get new ones, and have decided on two new iPhone XRs. I was thinking of just buying them outright (no payment plans) directly from Apple online.*

Questions:

1. I understand from reading online that if I do that VZW will not charge their $30 upgrade fee on each line. Is that correct?

2. Will I be charged an activation fee? Does that depend on if I have Apple ship them with a new VZW SIM card installed vs. unlocked with no SIM?

3. I know I could swap the SIM cards (both 5c and 5s use Nano cards, as does XR), but is it advisable to do so, considering the age of these phones (2013/2014)? Are newer SIM cards preferable?

*Because our phones are so old, they don't qualify for any good trade-in offers, and we don't use a lot of data (mostly are where we have wifi), typically less than 2 GB for both of us, so I don't want to upgrade to any deal that will require an unlimited data plan, which would end up costing us more over time.

Thanks, Glenn

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If you can make any trade in at all, you will be ahead, both phones are worth somewhere between 50 to 100 dollars depending on condition, ALMOST not worth selling with market place fees, paypal charges and shipping. BUT if you can get 25, 50, or more for a trade, TAKE IT!

Last edited:

hondo211

May 3, 2019
Visit site
Yes, checking with Apple online it says they will give us $40 (5s) and $35 (5c) for trading them in, in good condition, which they are. So I may do that. But I was referring to the carrier deals of buy one, get one free with trade-in, or buy one get one for as low as $449, with trade-in. Those type trade-in deals require at least an iPhone 6 or above. Thanks.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello. Newcomer here, first post.

My wife (iPhone 5c) and I (iPhone 5s), VZW customers, are FINALLY about to get new ones, and have decided on two new iPhone XRs. I was thinking of just buying them outright (no payment plans) directly from Apple online.*

Questions:

1. I understand from reading online that if I do that VZW will not charge their $30 upgrade fee on each line. Is that correct?

2. Will I be charged an activation fee? Does that depend on if I have Apple ship them with a new VZW SIM card installed vs. unlocked with no SIM?

3. I know I could swap the SIM cards (both 5c and 5s use Nano cards, as does XR), but is it advisable to do so, considering the age of these phones (2013/2014)? Are newer SIM cards preferable?

*Because our phones are so old, they don't qualify for any good trade-in offers, and we don't use a lot of data (mostly are where we have wifi), typically less than 2 GB for both of us, so I don't want to upgrade to any deal that will require an unlimited data plan, which would end up costing us more over time.

Thanks, Glenn

I think if you buy them outright there is no fees. ESP if you use the SIM cards you have (which will work if I’m not mistaken)

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
When you buy your own devices you can change carriers any time. I left VZW after 27 years and went with T-Mobile and couldn't be happier.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
In a nutshell you'll have to refinance your mortgage, give a blood sample and sign over all children.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes they still charge the upgrade fee unless you buy the unlocked model from apple. Even paying full price, the verizon version they charge the "activation fee"