Upgrading from 3Gs - step by step instructions?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I am getting my AT&T preordered iPhone 5 this afternoon.

This to upgrade my 3Gs, which I want to use as an iPod.

What are the steps to do that?

My guess is:

Install the microSIM in the i5 (if not already installed by AT&T)
Connect to iTunes and power on
After the i5 and iTunes are done initializing, restore from last backup of the 3Gs
Will this assign the same name to my new i5?

What do I do with the 3Gs? Attach it to iTunes and do a factory restore?
Won't iTunes freak out if it sees 2 devices with the same name?

Please advise on the steps, in case I have it all wrong.

Aloke

stillzmatik

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
For staters, your microsim card won't fit in the i5, and iTunes will allow you to change the name of the i5 to whatever you want it to be. It will recognize that it is a different device.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Your iPhone 5 will come with the SIM card.

Plug in your iPhone 5 to iTunes and restore from backup (make sure you have a current backup).

You can use two iPhones on the same iTunes account, but if you want to wipe the 3GS, you can do that easily under general settings under the "Reset" settings...

...you're good to go at that point. And yes, if you use a previous backup, your iPhone will get the same name as your 3GS.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I'm not switching SIM's. The i5 will come with a new SIM.

So, when I set up the i5, I'll give it a new name and restore the last backup from the 3Gs.

I expect that the SIM on the 3Gs will get disabled once the i5 gets initialized.

Did I get the steps right?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not switching SIM's. The i5 will come with a new SIM.

So, when I set up the i5, I'll give it a new name and restore the last backup from the 3Gs.

I expect that the SIM on the 3Gs will get disabled once the i5 gets initialized.

Did I get the steps right?

Restore the iPhone 5 with the backup...THEN rename it.

And yes, once your account and phone number is connected to the iPhone 5, that SIM will become inactive.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Your iPhone 5 will come with the SIM card.

Plug in your iPhone 5 to iTunes and restore from backup (make sure you have a current backup).

You can use two iPhones on the same iTunes account, but if you want to wipe the 3GS, you can do that easily under general settings under the "Reset" settings...

...you're good to go at that point. And yes, if you use a previous backup, your iPhone will get the same name as your 3GS.
Thanks. Here's the steps:

1. Backup 3Gs
2. Attach i5 to iTunes and power on
3. Restore last 3Gs backup to the i5
4. Erase the 3Gs
Question: will the old SIM on the 3Gs be disabled by now? Because I am upgrading my phone from 3Gs to the i5?
5. Attach the 3Gs to iTunes and set it up as a new device (with a nonfunctional SIM in it)

Am I correct?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the 3GS sim will become dead now. It look likes you have all the steps in the right order.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to use the 3GS as an iPod without any data service, there's really no reason to reset it, just keep using it like you normally would, it will just read "No Service" in the top left hand corner but will still function fully in WiFi and as an iPod.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods