upgrading firmware on an already unlocked/jailbroken phone

tbone#IM

Oct 15, 2008
Visit site
hey all.

I'm sure the answer is probably somewhere on here but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

I have an already unlocked/jailbroken 1st generation Iphone - currently running firmware 1.1.4.. I didn't unlock it myself - had a guy in beijing do it for me (yes I'm in China) so I'm not too familiar with the programs or the steps.

I would like to upgrade to 2.1 (without bricking ;-). Is there anyone willing to post the specific steps I should take - and with what program? (there's two right? winpwn and pwnage?)

thanks!

tbone#IM

Oct 15, 2008
Visit site
Ash, so dummy me through this; you're saying that I can upgrade the firmware with quickpwn from 1.1.4 to 2.1 on an already unlocked phone without any issue? and it's just as forward as doing what they say n that page?

I just wanna get double verification, because if I screw my phone up over here I'm well... screwed ;-)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
No, you would update your phone first via iTunes. After updating your phone it will be set back to factory settings - locked and not jailbroken. Then proceed to jailbreak and unlock via quickpwn. But if you don't have any other phone I would proceed with caution.

tbone#IM

Oct 15, 2008
Visit site
so when you say "update via itunes" you mean update, and not restore to factory settings, right?
I thought if you tried to upgrade/update the firmware on an already unlocked phone it automatically bricked. is that not true?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remona94B9