Upgrading existing iPhone to OS 3 Beta 2 - Questions

miggs21

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm a new Apple Developer and I've got a couple of questions relating to the upgrade process:

1) Do I need to upgrade to Beta 1 first or can I just use the Beta 2 file on my existing iPhone?

2) After the upgrade, what will remain on the iPhone? Do I need to add back all of my contacts, music, apps, bluetooth connections, networks, wifi, etc.......what will be on the iPhone after the upgrade to OS 3

3) I've registered my UDID with Apple but didn't receive anything back from Apple stating that I did the process correctly - am I good to go once I do the upgrade? Will the phone be activated and working on my AT&T network?

thanks in advance - appreciate any assistance you can provide
miggs21

kevinwallace

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
iPhone OS 3.0 Beta 2

1. You can just use the beta2 file, option click in itunes and select the beta 2 firmware.

2. You need to right click your iPhone in itunes and click backup. This is just to be safe.

3. You don't receive any email about the registration of your UDID, Just look at your registered device list to be sure.

miggs21

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
thanks

So, is the backup just a precaution and I should expect that all of my data will still be on the iPhone after the upgrade?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I think you will have better results setting up as a new phone, than if you restore from a back up, much fewer quirks. A back up is a good idea...but I wouldn't use it for the upgrade.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Start as a new phone or you will have to deal with many issues and restore from scratch anyways. Save yourself the headache.

miggs21

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Starting from Scratch

Thanks for all the responses!

Sounds like perhaps I shouldn't attempt to do this at this point. I've got several email accounts on the phone, along with a significant amount of personal settings for bluetooth devices, music, etc.........it would be a large effort on my part to upgrade and start from scratch recreating all of the data and settings on the phone.

thanks
pvm

M_of_IMAK

Apr 23, 2009
www.IMAKcreations.com
Also, be aware that you should not put OS 3.0 beta code on a phone you are actually using as your personal phone. This will become evident if you do so. Beta code is beta for a reason.

M_of_IMAK

Apr 23, 2009
www.IMAKcreations.com
Most developers can't afford a beta phone... well until after they release their fart app.

oh so true - my son couldn't resist the 3g so I inherited his 2g after my 2g met the pavement and also had a run in with moisture that renders part of the touch screen inactive. A used iPod touch might fit the budget. But, if you are developing a 3.0 app and have no choice, then go for it - you shouldn't be distracting yourself with making phone calls anyway :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods