Upgrade Question - Sim Card - Mix-Match (AT&T)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I was going to post this in the AT&T forum, but since there have been no posts there for 1-month, I figured here... especially since in 5 hours we go live to buy.

My case is..

My wife wants my iPhone 6, she currently has a 5s.
I will buy a new iPhone 7.

I can't remember if this works, this easily, been 2-3 years since upgrading.

If I use her phone # to upgrade.. can she just put the sim that comes with the 7 into my 6 and then restore from backup. (or iCloud)
I move my sim from my iPhone 6 to my 7 and just restore from backup (or iCloud)

I am trying to order under her # (both are #s are up for an upgrade) as I don't remember if she can put the 5S sim into the 6. She is out of town until Tuesday so I can't test.

Anyone able to clarify?

Thanks

cls

Mister Tibbs

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
My AT&T experience with the Sim card changes were done by my AT&T representative in store. I now have the iPhone 6s Plus 128 GB. I have no need to upgrade to the seven. However, my AT&T CSR happily volunteered to take care of the Sim and even replaced it when it was required to do so with the upgraded iPhone. My CSR made sure that the necessary data from the original sim to the new sim (I had of course backed up my old iPhone) My CSR didn't even charge me for the new SIM card which is about $10.
I have never had a reason to even open the SIM card slot because my AT&T guy has always taken care of that for me. Since you have AT&T already, I find it hard to believe that your AT&T store did not handle your needs concerning such an important little chip necessary for an iPhone.
I am sure by now that you have already taken care of the Sims and I hope that you enjoy your iPhone 7 and I hope your wife enjoys her iPhone 6.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My AT&T experience with the Sim card changes were done by my AT&T representative in store. I now have the iPhone 6s Plus 128 GB. I have no need to upgrade to the seven. However, my AT&T CSR happily volunteered to take care of the Sim and even replaced it when it was required to do so with the upgraded iPhone. My CSR made sure that the necessary data from the original sim to the new sim (I had of course backed up my old iPhone) My CSR didn't even charge me for the new SIM card which is about $10.
I have never had a reason to even open the SIM card slot because my AT&T guy has always taken care of that for me. Since you have AT&T already, I find it hard to believe that your AT&T store did not handle your needs concerning such an important little chip necessary for an iPhone.
I am sure by now that you have already taken care of the Sims and I hope that you enjoy your iPhone 7 and I hope your wife enjoys her iPhone 6.

No AT&T or other store.. would be my house.... phone is being delivered and no actual AT&T or Apple location for many miles.

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was going to post this in the AT&T forum, but since there have been no posts there for 1-month, I figured here... especially since in 5 hours we go live to buy.

My case is..

My wife wants my iPhone 6, she currently has a 5s.
I will buy a new iPhone 7.

I can't remember if this works, this easily, been 2-3 years since upgrading.

If I use her phone # to upgrade.. can she just put the sim that comes with the 7 into my 6 and then restore from backup. (or iCloud)
I move my sim from my iPhone 6 to my 7 and just restore from backup (or iCloud)

I am trying to order under her # (both are #s are up for an upgrade) as I don't remember if she can put the 5S sim into the 6. She is out of town until Tuesday so I can't test.

Anyone able to clarify?

Thanks

cls

The short answer is yes. What you've laid out should work just fine. Simply put, just remove the sim card from the 7 and put it into the 6 and everything should be good. If you have any issues, just contact AT&T and they'll be able to sort it out.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually it's the sim card from the 6 into the 7 and the sim card from the 5S into the 6... but hopefully no issues arise... if/when it gets here!

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I am in the process of backing up/restoring and will be putting younger DD's SIM from her 5 into my 6. We are AT&T. Give me 30mins and I'll let you know how it went. Shouldn't be an issue though.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually it turned out to be an issue. I got my iPhone 7, put my Sim from the 6 into the 7 and it's giving me the wrong phone number. It shows my wife's number, not mine to set up. I can't do that.. I put it back in my iPhone 6 and it works and it's my number (test calls).. take it out, back in the 7 and it wants to set up with my wife's number. I am on hold with Apple now. Apple can't help. I need to drive to an AT&T store and see if they can get me a new SIM card. Wish me luck.

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Upgrade Question - Sim Card - Mix-Match (AT&T)

The iPhone 7 I ordered is locked to my husband's number. Had I known that, I would have gotten the 6s Plus on his line when we switched.
Update: had to use his sim to activate then was able to use mine with no issues.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow, that's weird. Is the phone locked to her number?

Yes, the iPhone was locked to her number regardless of sim card. So pre-activation it shows her number. Locked through the IMEI number via Apple / AT&T. So I had to activate it using the new SIM card, than once activated, swap sims. So yeah.. that's new!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox