Upgrade from iPhone 5c - should it be 7 or 8?

karthikgk

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
All,
I have an iPhone 5c (YES - you read it right :)) and am finally considering an upgrade. With seemingly not much difference between 7 and 8, I am looking for some inputs if I should go with iPhone 7 or 8.

Thanks!

Karthik

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's tough for us to make that decision for you. Going from a 5C, you're going to notice quite the increase with either choice. The 8 is going to give you a marginally faster processor, glass back (thus making it more fragile) and wireless charging. Are those differences enough to sway you in that direction? It's always good to get the latest model if you're someone who keeps their phone for a while. You'll probably get a longer lasting device out of the 8 than the 7.

That said, the 7 is still a very powerful device. You really can't go wrong with either one. If you can afford the 8 though, I'd say go for it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's tough for us to make that decision for you. Going from a 5C, you're going to notice quite the increase with either choice. The 8 is going to give you a marginally faster processor, glass back (thus making it more fragile) and wireless charging. Are those differences enough to sway you in that direction? It's always good to get the latest model if you're someone who keeps their phone for a while. You'll probably get a longer lasting device out of the 8 than the 7.

That said, the 7 is still a very powerful device. You really can't go wrong with either one. If you can afford the 8 though, I'd say go for it.

Excellent advice! I agree 100% and the only other thought I have is that there are a few differences in color choices between the two models.

The color choices for the 8 are: Space Gray, Silver and Gold (which is more like a rose or peachy gold)

The color choices for the 7 are: Jet Black, Black (matte), Silver, Gold and Rose Gold.

It might help to look at both... so if you have an Apple Store nearby, I'd go for a visit!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If you can afford the 8, then get the 8. The A11 is very powerful, better cameras, a much better build quality, wireless charging and fast charging.

The 7 is still a great phone, but if you can afford the 8, why not?

jrocke0w0

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
As I type this on my 24 hour old space grey 8, I gotta say it’s friggin’ beautiful. I was weighing on the same options as you coming from an SE. went with the 8 because 1) it will be supported (in theory) for an extra year. 2) the glass back is soo nice in the hands and 3) I hate having to scroll down too far in the forums to find my device the wireless charging is a nice little feature too.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
As I type this on my 24 hour old space grey 8, I gotta say it’s friggin’ beautiful. I was weighing on the same options as you coming from an SE. went with the 8 because 1) it will be supported (in theory) for an extra year. 2) the glass back is soo nice in the hands and 3) I hate having to scroll down too far in the forums to find my device the wireless charging is a nice little feature too.

Congratulations on your 8!

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
All,
I have an iPhone 5c (YES - you read it right :)) and am finally considering an upgrade. With seemingly not much difference between 7 and 8, I am looking for some inputs if I should go with iPhone 7 or 8.

Thanks!

Karthik
You seem to keep your iPhone for quite a long time, so go for the newest

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I would say the 8. It will be supported for a year longer. Especially of you hold onto phones like you have with the 5C

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Definitely the 8 even though I still haven't taken advantage of the wireless charging capabilities of my X.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
All,

Thanks!

Karthik

I had an iPhone 8 briefly last year before i chose the 8 Plus and found the 8 a excellent device very fast and great camera .

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
So I’ve had the 7+ and the 8+ and now I’ve gone to the 8! It seriously is a great phone it does everything needed and the feel in the hand is great with the glass back. I got rid of the 7 plus due to wireless charging. That was something I wanted. I can’t justify buying any of the new phones for the price.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Both are great.

I get some insights and opinions as the senior IT admin. I end up helping staff in addition to deal with what we provision and manage.

Yes there’s no glass back if you choose a 7. Some like the glass back for aesthetics and feel even if they have no plans for wireless charging. At first I liked the matte anodized AL feel more than glass. Now I don’t care.

Some of my users who’ve not put that much value beyond calls or texts have changed their minds with the full screen X, XS, and now XR series. The XR and XS Max completely changed them. The phones have become reading devices and they got much more utility from some apps.

After being surprised by some of my users and even my own willingness to spend on the Max I’ve suggested taking time to see how much more some apps can display with the newer format. I say this because I see an obvious situation where people who did not put consider spending are totally pleased with the XR and XS Max purchases.

I’ll add check out the camera and sound differences too.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2