Updating a 3G to iOS 4.0 (Slow Backup Issue Solved)

stevehockey4

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
For those who are, or are planning to update their iPhone 3G to iOS4 here is the trick. Many people have been having ridiculously long backup times (of many hours) when upgrading their iPhone 3g's OS to todays update. Some of these attempts have ended in errors and slow running phones as well.

In order to much more quickly update your phone to the new OS, choose to do a restore of your phone rather than an upgrade.

Before using the restore feature, make sure you first sync your phone with iTunes to retain all of your current settings. Once you have done this use the restore feature to download the newest update and do a fresh install on your phone.

Once this step has completed your phone will automatically sync all of the data you backed up beforehand, leaving you with a fresh install in a much shorter time than the update. (Took me about 30 minutes, after previously waiting an hour to get 1/4 of the way through the update)

Go this route, let everyone know how it turns out for you here.

Edit*

Not sure how this route will affect any saved games you may have within applications. Anyone know?

Last edited:

avanden

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3GS and it's taking forever. Been 2 or 3 hours now. iTunes says "Waiting for iPhone" and the phone has the Apple logo screen with the status bar (which is currently empty).

Am I going to have to let this thing run all night? I hope not. This is my only phone and I probably have people trying to get ahold of me.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My 3GS took about 30 minutes too. I think some of you have way, way too much stuff being backed up to your iTunes backup. There are some apps that are terrible about backing up data that you could easily do better downloading later. Rhapsody is one that will download all your cached music. There should be a switch to turn this off so that it doesn't back up. I'd rather just download it when it is convenient.

So in summary I think what most of you are experiencing is having a lot of data rather it be app related or you own stuff I can't say. Usually after a restore I have to just add my music and videos back on. I think the backup should ONLY be for setting PERIOD!

Reaper69

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, It been a few hours for me (I Think)? I know I have over 300 apps on my 16G, 3G. I'm getting the I4,32G I hope on the 24!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods