Update on my idiotic situation for anyone who cares.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So, on October 1, I was visiting a friend in Minneapolis, out at dinner at Mall of America, when someone stole my iPhone4 out of my purse. We had finished eating and paying and were leaving when I noticed, and I had used it within the last 5 minutes to text a friend so I know I had it up to that point. When I noticed I ran to the att store about 10 stores away from where we'd eaten, and my friends went to the police and to lost and found while I ran up there. There was not a single customer in the att store so I had 4 employees, all relatively young guys, at my disposal. I entered in my find my iphone info, and we pulled it up and watched it drive towards the airport for the highway. We remote locked and sent messages, and within about 5 minutes the person was pissed they could no longer use the phone and turned it off, we assume til they got home to wipe it. So since I had ATT I was pretty much screwed, and my friends came back with an officer who took a statement and told us we could probably get a copy of surveillance from that part of the mall sent to me to identify the person but that getting anyone to take it seriously would be hard since I am not a local, and it's not a felony there, as it would be in STL (value of the phone for repurchase is where it becomes a felony here). So using a friend's upgrade, I repurchased the iPhone4, and we went on our merry way, knowing that if I ordered the 4S or whatever had been announced the next week, I'd just return this OR ship to my friend whose upgrade I used. We ended up agreeing to the latter since it was on her account and way easier.

Watched the announcement and was sold by the camera. That Friday, I preordered my 4S like everyone else seemed to have, from Apple.com. I got it on launch day at like 745am. I spent 10 hours trying to get that damn thing activated to no avail, before I just decided to go to ATT. I went to UPS and got the 4 shipped out to my friend for next day delivery (and paid dearly!) and then headed to ATT. I got in line behind 4 other people who also bought from Apple.com and also spent all day activating. After about a half hour with the tech, we got it up, but used 3 SIM cards in the process, before it ended up using the first one it came with. Fine for a day, then the phone starts this infinite loop of restarts and searching for singals, which instead of ATT reads as 310-410. I go to ATT, switch sim. Seems ok, til I look over later and it's doing it again. So I go back to ATT the next day, new SIM again. THat doesn't fix it. Factory Restore. Still no fix. So I make an Apple appt, and tolerate it for another day. Go in, tell the guy what's happening, he hands me a new phone. Walk out. Get in car. Drive home. Call home on the way. Get hung up on three times by my husband, who then texts me to see what's wrong. Realize my microphone isn't working and I am too far away already to go back before they close. Reset again to factory JUST in case. Nothing. No time to get to Apple before I leave town.

So I go out of town for work for a week, without a working phone, just texting people. Idiotic. Get back home after making another Apple appt, and explain the issue, just as I check in, the damn phone s tarts that idiotic 310-410 nonsense. I show the guy I checked in with, he cringes, says he is getting his manager ... finally a guy comes out that's the manager and brings a Genius guy with him. Hands me another new phone. Starts within 24 hours again. Can't complete any calls, esp to landlines. Goes back to Apple, gets told to go to ATT. ATT gives new SIM, sends me back to Apple. I go back, they tell me to hold on for another couple days, and reset the phone. Try all of the above. No change. Goes for about a full week before all sorts of hell happens, including incomplete phone calls, and restarts galore. Update to 5.0.1. No change. Hard reset and restore. No change. Cuss a bunch. Make Apple appt. Go to store. Replaced AGAIN. Go home, install 5.0.1 again. Seems ok for about a half hour. Still can't make proper phone calls. Goes into 310-410 loop again. Go to ATT. ANOTHER new SIM. No change. Makes Apple store appt for the other Apple location in my city in the window before the phone starts searching again. Goes in today at noon for appt. Gets a Genius who actually wants to FIX IT. Hooks phone up for diagnostics looking for issues with phone itself. Finds lots of issues and weird bug codes. Gets out another new phone, calls ATT simultaneously on store phone. ATT sends to Technical Support. Within about an hour, lots of changes to IMEI, sim codes, etc...phone receives signal from the Tech Support that my IMEI has been changed (we think), goes to black screen saying "power off/on ACCEPT/CANCEL" I don't even have time to touch accept or cancel, main screen comes back. Apple Genius and ATT girl both say "that's a new one" we all laugh nervously. I power off. I wait on the phone for 5 minutes while ATT punches in codes and fixes. I hand phone back to Apple Genius, they speak briefly. Apple Genius says to turn phone back on again. When it's back up, we wait two minutes, Genius starts into diagnostics. No codes come back. ATT asks for a second restart of the phone, when it's back up, all appears to be working again. ATT asks me to call a few numbers, esp the ones I had issues with. I call my parents, my Mother in Law at home. I call my husband at work. I call my friend's cell. All go through on the first try. We all agree it's looking fixed. I have yet to see a single weird 310-410 yet since leaving. :D

Let's hope it's all good and done!

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Man, you must love Apple to death. Less than halfway through that story I'd be a WP7 owner. Good luck.

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow! What an aweful experience! Glad things worked out in the end for ya. I had similar problems with T-Mobile a few years ago. After the third return, they offered to credit my account for a free months service. I'm suprised you weren't offerend anything for all the trouble. I'd of probably been waving bye to Apple and ATT if I were you.

Semi OT - Of the hundreds of times I've been to MOA, never had anything stolen from myself or who I was with. I did see a streaker with two cops chasing after him there once. Parents springing to cover their screaming childrens eyes, mass gasps, and the sound of the streaker going "whooohoohooo!". It was something...

Sent from my InferiorHumanOrgan CM7.1 using Tapatalk

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Man, you must love Apple to death. Less than halfway through that story I'd be a WP7 owner. Good luck.
I will go without a phone before I ever own a windows product. I'd just go back to Android lol

But yes, I am a mac user. It's kind of necessary for my work.

Wow! What an aweful experience! Glad things worked out in the end for ya. I had similar problems with T-Mobile a few years ago. After the third return, they offered to credit my account for a free months service. I'm suprised you weren't offerend anything for all the trouble. I'd of probably been waving bye to Apple and ATT if I were you.

Semi OT - Of the hundreds of times I've been to MOA, never had anything stolen from myself or who I was with. I did see a streaker with two cops chasing after him there once. Parents springing to cover their screaming childrens eyes, mass gasps, and the sound of the streaker going "whooohoohooo!". It was something...

Sent from my InferiorHumanOrgan CM7.1 using Tapatalk

It had been my like 5th time at the mall that weekend alone, and unfortunately in all the times I've been there I have yet to see any naked people. I feel like I've been robbed of a better experience lol. Considering there were four of us, you'd have thought any one of us wouldve seen it. We all have a suspicion of two specific people we think it was, but as yet, I still do not have a copy of that tape. At this point all it does for me is give me a "yep, I knew it, or yep, she knew it" moment I think. Since it's been a month.

Yea, no offers, lots of apologizing, but that's it. Apple wouldn't even let me refund and get the 4. I was so irritated. Until now, I had no issues since switching back to ATT in Feb, from Sprint. I had tried ATT along the way to no avail and stayed with Sprint each time. But they finally broke my back earlier this year and I was done with it. My parents had switched to ATT for all four lines about two months prior and were happy so I jsut went back to ATT. Til now not a problem.

That is insane! Have you pulled all of your hair out yet?
Thankfully no. I was getting there!