Update Help For Windows

Ipilot4s

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
IOS5 Update Help For Windows Users

Hi all,

I know these fixes have been covered else where on the web and on this forum however they're very difficult to find and it can take hours to filter through all the rubbish.

I am currently restoring my IPhone 3GS as I'm selling it due to receiving my 4S on Saturday.

I have received 2 errors whilst trying to restore, 1 saying my network timed out and the other a 3194 error.

The network time out error was easy to work around, there are direct download links to the IOS software on this website - iOS 5 Now Available [Download Links]

Once downloaded plug in your IPhone, launch ITunes and put the phone into DFU mode by
Turning it off
Press and hold the home/on buttons together for at least 10 seconds.
Let go of the on button
Wait another 10 seconds, let go of the home button and you should receive a message in ITunes saying something along the lines of "IPhone found in recovery mode"

Cancel any updates ITunes tries to do, hold shift and select update
Choose the file from the location it was downloaded to and click open

If all goes to plan it will install with no problems.

One other issue I had when restoring the IPhone was the 3194 error.
I navigated to the following folder - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
Right clicked on hosts
Deleted any IP lines pointing to gs.apple.com
CTRL + S to save
Saved as "All files" (not a txt or anything)
Reloaded ITunes and restored my IPhone

This worked a treat and the IPhone has restored with no problems.
I hope this helps others out there with the same issues.

Last edited:

Ipilot4s

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
For those experiencing issues with 3200 errors can you try the first section of the post and message back advising if it's worked please.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You don't have to put the device in DFU if you download the ipsw directly...you can download it and place the file in:
C:\Users\<Your_Username>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Update\
or
C:\Users\<Your_Username>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Update\
I don't remember which, I can check when I get home and look at my wifes computer.

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I know these fixes have been covered else where on the web and on this forum however they're very difficult to find and it can take hours to filter through all the rubbish.

I am currently restoring my IPhone 3GS as I'm selling it due to receiving my 4S on Saturday.

I have received 2 errors whilst trying to restore, 1 saying my network timed out and the other a 3194 error.

The network time out error was easy to work around, there are direct download links to the IOS software on this website - iOS 5 Now Available [Download Links]

Once downloaded plug in your IPhone, launch ITunes and put the phone into DFU mode by
Turning it off
Let go of the on button
Wait another 10 seconds, let go of the home button and you should receive a message in ITunes saying something along the lines of "IPhone found in recovery mode"

Right clicked on hosts
CTRL + S to save

Had a problem with my Ipad 1 with the 3194 error that I could not resolve. The host file did the trick!

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Turning it off
Let go of the on button

Right clicked on hosts
CTRL + S to save

You were so right!!! I've been trying to upgrade since 9am EST. Looked all over the net for ways to correct this error and it looks like it's finally upgrading! Thanks so much!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro