Unlocking iPhone 3G & 3GS official support thread (Updated 11/28/10)

ovidiu1305

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
In order to work you have to restore a custom firmware 4.2.1 and before doing that you have to put your iphone to pwaned dfu .If you want can also do it online for you

rak007

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I have figured out that most of the iPhone 3GS selling on ebay.com or craigslist are most probably unlocked with their baseband updated to 6.xx which is an iPad baseband and this screws up the GPS i guess.
Is it possible for me to buy an AT&T locked iPhone 3GS and unlock / Jailbreak myself while PRESERVING the baseband ??? If yes then please point me to some tutorials for the same and what all locked phones (which baseband i mean) are eligible for the unlock / jailbreak with preserving the baseband.

Taragon

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I have an old 3G with 3.1.2 IOS and a baseband of 05.11.07. It looks like I can use ultrasn0w to unlock it, but what jailbreak do you recommend using? And is there any thing I should do to protect this old phones baseband.

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Let me jump in and ask. I have a 3gs unlocked and jailbroken with redsn0w running version 5.0.1 and firmware 6.15.00. My issue is all I have is "no service" where carrier should be. Can anybody help?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Let me jump in and ask. I have a 3gs unlocked and jailbroken with redsn0w running version 5.0.1 and firmware 6.15.00. My issue is all I have is "no service" where carrier should be. Can anybody help?

Are you sure you've unlocked the phone?
Connect to WiFi, jump to Cydia and see if you have installed ultrasn0w. If so, try rebooting* the device. If not, install ultrasn0w and Cydia will prompt you to reboot*. After that you should have cellular connection.

* Don't forget to use your computer to boot up the tethered phone.

I have an old 3G with 3.1.2 IOS and a baseband of 05.11.07. It looks like I can use ultrasn0w to unlock it, but what jailbreak do you recommend using? And is there any thing I should do to protect this old phones baseband.

If you don't mind staying on iOS 3, the solution couldn't be simpler. Download the Spirit jailbreak, connect your phone to the computer, run Spirit (it's a one click jailbreak, without the need to reinstall the OS) and you've jailbroken! All you have to do now is connect to a WiFi, go to Cydia, if it asks make a full update, and then install ultrasn0w and reboot.

Last edited:

soulowar

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Any place to download older Redsnow release 0.9.6rc8 .. I can only find rc16 and it doesn't work with my 3G when it goes to fetch the ipad 6.15 it just autoclose.. any way to fix this?

Here is my post if you need more info:
forums.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlock-forum/226297-iphone-3g.html#post1821493

koki388

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I just jailbreaked with redsn0w version b8 last night with my iPhone 3GS to 5.0.1. I successfully turned my iPhone into iPod as after trying to open the cydia for ultrasn0w, it just disappeared. I tried reboot and re-jailbreak. to no avail. cydia won't come back. so i am stuck with an iPod now. what to do. anybody can help? thanks

ovidiu1305

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
You probably have a new bootrom iphone and jailbroken tethered.you need to boot tethered( just boot option from redsnow extras). After that you will be able to unlock from cydia.each time you turn off you need to boot tethered, untill an untethered jailbreak will be out ,or downgrade to older firmware,4.1 if you do not have any shsh saved

iPhoneMod

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 3g stuck in recovery loop.

PLEASE HELP! I can't afford a new phone so I really need to get this fixed. I have an iPhone 3g on 4.2.1 and 6.15.00 base band. It is jail broken and unlocked and for the past couple weeks my phone has been randomly going into recovery mode. Every time I would just do a hard reset and the phone would come out of recovery mode. But now when I try a hard reset it goes to the apple logo screen and then to the connect to iTunes screen. I can't restore my phone because I'm on iPad base band. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anyway to fix it?

ovidiu1305

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
PLEASE HELP! I can't afford a new phone so I really need to get this fixed. I have an iPhone 3g on 4.2.1 and 6.15.00 base band. It is jail broken and unlocked and for the past couple weeks my phone has been randomly going into recovery mode. Every time I would just do a hard reset and the phone would come out of recovery mode. But now when I try a hard reset it goes to the apple logo screen and then to the connect to iTunes screen. I can't restore my phone because I'm on iPad base band. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anyway to fix it?

you need to restore a custom firmware since you have the iPad baseband, a firmware that will not update the basebnd.I have made a tutorial here about making and restoring a custom firmware
http://forums.tipb.com/jailbreak-un...tucked-apple-logo-dfu-mode-recovery-mode.html

zan_459

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I really need help on this

So, I had a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3gs on 4.1. Today, I wanted to upgrade it to ios5 jailbreak, so I followed each step on here iClarified (Downloaded ios5, made a custom ipsw, used that to restore my phone and then did a tethered reboot, but when I rebooted, it takes me to the standard configiration page on my phone, not the home or lock screen, and then complains about the sim being wrong. I don't know where I could have gone wrong, and I don't have anywhere to take it into a apple support store, as there isn't one in my entire country. Any ideas?

fogkeebler

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
3GS Unlock Help

OK so I guess either I missed something or I'm confused and need a little bit of help. I have read the instructions for getting a 3GS onto baseband 06.15.00 but I'm on a PC and cant run the pwnage tool. How do I use redsnow to tell it to do the custom ipsw with the ipad baseband?

Thanks

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
OK so I guess either I missed something or I'm confused and need a little bit of help. I have read the instructions for getting a 3GS onto baseband 06.15.00 but I'm on a PC and cant run the pwnage tool. How do I use redsnow to tell it to do the custom ipsw with the ipad baseband?

Thanks

In my opinion redsn0w is way too complicated. Try using sn0wbreeze instead.

PS: if you're upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 it might be worth waiting until sn0wbreeze incorporates the latest untethered jailbreak. If you can't wait, Jailbreak using the tethered option and then install the Corona tweak from Cydia.

So, I had a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3gs on 4.1. Today, I wanted to upgrade it to ios5 jailbreak, so I followed each step on here iClarified (Downloaded ios5, made a custom ipsw, used that to restore my phone and then did a tethered reboot, but when I rebooted, it takes me to the standard configiration page on my phone, not the home or lock screen, and then complains about the sim being wrong. I don't know where I could have gone wrong, and I don't have anywhere to take it into a apple support store, as there isn't one in my entire country. Any ideas?

Make sure you use sn0wbreeze for the custom IPSW creation. When you click Expert Mode, go to General make sure you tick the checkbox that says "Activate the IPhone". In case you get a No Service message when you're at your home screen, install ultrasn0w from Cydia.

Last edited:

iCheapskate

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Do I need an unlock to use a 3GS with no data plan?

I started on AT&T with a dumbphone with data/texting disabled (kids kepts hitting it on accident). Then got a used 2G. I jailbroke/unlocked/hacktivated it, and use it with no data or texting plan, effectively making it an iTouch that can also make voice calls. I received a hand-me-down 3GS for xmas, and I'm working on trying to get to the same state I'm at now but with the better phone.

It's been a while since I jailbroke the 2G, and from what I've read it's trickier to JB newer phones/OSes the right way. At present the unmodified phone is running iOS 5.01, have the "old" bootrom, and have baseband 05.16.05. I have downloaded the IPSW for 5.01 and the latest redsn0w.

My questions are:

1. Do I need an unlock and/or hacktivation to get to no data plan on AT&T from my current state?

2. Will GPS work without a data plan? (I assume it won't if I do need an unlock as the iPad doesn't support GPS, right?)

3. Anything else that might not work? (Push notifications don't work on my current phone due to the JB, and YouTube required a little work to get running.)

4. I see there were some developments in JB right around xmas. Would it be wise to wait a bit longer and see how it all plays out?

Many thanks in advance for your expertise!

Helkken

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unlocking iPhone 3GS Baseband 05.16.05

This phone is version 5.1 and may not have been jail token. I have not read or seen a posting on how to unlock it. Can someone help. I'm also new to jail break.