Unlocking iPhone 3G & 3GS official support thread (Updated 11/28/10)

foodd

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
^ Okay, I'm feeling really slow now. Where do I download that IPSW at? I found the one linked in the dev blog, but can't find the one that you reference. I'm totally sorry for being such a noob at this.

G Bananas

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
^ Okay, I'm feeling really slow now. Where do I download that IPSW at? I found the one linked in the dev blog, but can't find the one that you reference. I'm totally sorry for being such a noob at this.

Don't be sorry at all. I just googled it and many sites have a link to the apple servers for download. But be sure to get the 3G 4.1 IPSW. I would go ahead and get the iPad IPSW that redsn0w is going to use also. But I haven't done this yet so sorry I can't help beyond this step. Post what happens if you're doing this now.

Reactions: foodd

foodd

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I got the IPSW for the phone. Now for the ipad one, is that the link that's provided on the dev blog page? I just copy/pasted the instructions since I can't link yet. The link is on step #4. Weeeee I'm so close now! I have to leave for work soon, but will be getting back on this after I get home this evening.

This one:

SIMPLIFIED ROUTE #2 (PwnageTool for OSX):

1. Read and fully understand the warning below.
2. If you have an old-bootrom 3GS and are already unlockable but want to get to 4.2.1, please wait til we release an ?unofficial? bundle for you. Read no further.
3. Read update #1 for an updated 3GS bundle.
4. Download this IPSW <------ is this the ipad one that I should download?
5. Run PwnageTool to create a custom 4.1 IPSW. Tell it you want to use the iPad baseband you just downloaded. Restore to this custom IPSW.
6. Install ultrasn0w through Cydia
7. Enjoy!

I just assumed that it wasn't for windows. Thanks for your help! I think if I can just get all the stuff downloaded, I'll be okay and figure it out as I go. I mean, it doesn't really sound hard, just a little confusing.

foodd

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I think I've got the right ipad one: iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw. That's correct, isn't it? So now I just open the iPad one, the iPhone one that was stated earlier (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore,ipsw), and then redsn0w?

I think that sounds right, but I'm suffering from information overload, lol.

foodd

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't be sorry at all. I just googled it and many sites have a link to the apple servers for download. But be sure to get the 3G 4.1 IPSW. I would go ahead and get the iPad IPSW that redsn0w is going to use also. But I haven't done this yet so sorry I can't help beyond this step. Post what happens if you're doing this now.

Okay, done! I downloaded redsn0w, and my current .ipsw to my desktop. Ran redsn0w, checked "install cydia" and "install ipad baseband". redsn0w did it's thing and then I put my SIM card in. Opened cydia, searched for ultrasn0w, ran it, rebooted, and I'm unlocked.

G Bananas

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Okay, done! I downloaded redsn0w, and my current .ipsw to my desktop. Ran redsn0w, checked "install cydia" and "install ipad baseband". redsn0w did it's thing and then I put my SIM card in. Opened cydia, searched for ultrasn0w, ran it, rebooted, and I'm unlocked.

That's great. Any issues with battery life, or GPS? Did you use an ATT sim card at any time?

foodd

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I had the ATT sim in the phone for the jailbreak. After that was done, I put in my own sim and then unlocked it. I'm really not sure if I actually needed the ATT sim, but I figured I might as well keep it in there until it was JB'd. No issues so far w/ battery life. I don't use GPS as I don't travel out of town too often.

Nehemoth

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Needing some help here please.

Info first

Info
iPhone..............3Gs
iOS.................3.1.2
Unlocked............Yes
Jailbreaked.........Yes
Tool User...........Blackra1n (UltraSn0w)
Bootrom.............359.3
BootLoader..........6.4
Baseband............05.11.07
SHSH Saved..........Yes

Then I installed 4.2.1
Then Jailbreaked with Redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6 on windows 7 (compatibility XP SP3)
The ran Cydia, add a repository for UltraSn0w installed it
But did not found my network

Then I installed AM? and ?SAMPrefs when to Deactivate but of course mine said Unactivated, tried several combination and still can not find my Carrier.

Uninstalled and Re-installed UltraSn0w several time and the same issue, also I turn it off the SAM option and still same problem.

Now I realize that in the about section Carrier is listed just right

My new Baseband its 05.15.04

Any idea?

Supra1jz

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Needing some help here please.

Info first

Info
iPhone..............3Gs
iOS.................3.1.2
Unlocked............Yes
Jailbreaked.........Yes
Tool User...........Blackra1n (UltraSn0w)
Bootrom.............359.3
BootLoader..........6.4
Baseband............05.11.07
SHSH Saved..........Yes

Then I installed 4.2.1
Then Jailbreaked with Redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6 on windows 7 (compatibility XP SP3)
The ran Cydia, add a repository for UltraSn0w installed it
But did not found my network

Then I installed AM? and ?SAMPrefs when to Deactivate but of course mine said Unactivated, tried several combination and still can not find my Carrier.

Uninstalled and Re-installed UltraSn0w several time and the same issue, also I turn it off the SAM option and still same problem.

Now I realize that in the about section Carrier is listed just right

My new Baseband its 05.15.04

Any idea?

5.15.04 baseband is not unlockable

Supra1jz

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
well some user have been using the ipad 3.2.2 with the baseband 6.15 and that is how they are unlocking there phone but if i was you unless you really have to i would wait cause once you do it theres not going back you can not downgrade so its a big risk so read around the forum and you will see its posted everywhere..

Nehemoth

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
well some user have been using the ipad 3.2.2 with the baseband 6.15 and that is how they are unlocking there phone but if i was you unless you really have to i would wait cause once you do it theres not going back you can not downgrade so its a big risk so read around the forum and you will see its posted everywhere..

Exactly I don't wanna do that.

BUT I don't understand why this happened.

The supposition was that after the update I could do the Unlock cause I have the old bootrom and all that stuff.

Nehemoth

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
heres a link read this..

blog.iphone-dev.org/e-dev.org

Thank you man but I had read that link several times

If you have an old-bootrom 3GS and are already unlockable but want to get to 4.2.1, please wait til we release an ?unofficial? bundle for you. Read no further.

Now I understood the Read no further. Sadly I continue reading and I read this too
If you have an iPhone3GS with an old bootrom, use redsn0w for an untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak..
But of course the beginning of that sentence is
This PwnageTool also contains...

So that reference was only valid for people using PwnageTool.

I'm guessing that I can back to 3.1.2 since when I tried to use Sn0wbreze for 4.1 update I got error 1600. Should I go back to 3.1.2 or should I wait for the "unofficial? bundle???

Best regards

Supra1jz

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
you already updated your baseband you cannot go down on baseband so even if you go back to 3.1.2 your baseband will stay the same..

Nehemoth

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
you already updated your baseband you cannot go down on baseband so even if you go back to 3.1.2 your baseband will stay the same..

You see I didn't know that cause I read several months ago, when 4.0 or 4.1 was released, that you could back to the previous baseband [with a trick?] but it looks like was that version only.

I can see that with PwnageTool you can build a custom IPSW which let you update Preserving your baseband, So why these cooked IPSW aren't released to the public? [Apple Lawyers?].

Lets hope soon we get an update cause I only use my iPhone to navigate when on the move, so WiFi is nothing to me.

Thank you for the support

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2