Unexplained Data Consumption?

anon(924308)

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
My sister just got an iphone 4S, and is complaining about inexplicable data usage. On my device, I can clearly see how much data was used from each app/process, and when; I have widgets and other processes that auto-sync, but I can disable that. I can't seem to find the equivalent on her iphone's settings (I only see "received/sent" data under cellular data).

She's 15 years old and not particularly tech-savvy, so I can't really get informative answers regarding her usage--and I'm unfamiliar with iOS-based phones. She's at 70MB sent, 273MB received after about a week of usage (which isn't much, but she doesn't know what's eating her data) . She doesn't stream media on 3G, and is pretty diligent about not using cellular data whenever possible. I know she hasn't actively consumed 350MB, so I was wondering: are there any hidden processes that would consume cellular data without her knowledge? She says she only receives notifications when on wifi--is that the default setting, or is there any way to change it? Are there any good 3rd party apps that could help her track detailed cellular data usage down to the apps/processes? Anything else she should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
First, see if she has a software update she can do (Settings -> General -> Software Update) as there was a bug with data consumption this can help fix.

If that doesn't seem to help, try resetting the network settings (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings) or you can look into an app like Dataman.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Make sure she sets her email to fetch manually, turn off location and gps. Make sure all apps are closed when she exits out of them.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2