Unable to reverse back to original states (Doorbell + Lights + Homekits)

Colt45UK

Jan 29, 2022
Visit site
I'm Deaf, I rely on doorbell light flashes around my home.
I've been using IFTTT to trigger Lifx from my Ring doorbell but this has failed me from time to time (due to polling/delay on their server and causing me to miss answering the door).
A friend of mine told me a bit about Homekits so I've decided to go ahead and bought my first iPad.
After fiddling about it, learning the rope, etc.. seems to be all added with no issues. However, I'm struggling to get this to work to HOW I wanted to see.

Here's my example of what I'm hoping to achieve.

Living Room/Hall/Kitchen/Bedrooms/Bathroom/Garage/etc lights set to "light off" since as some of us are not using those room but in my case, lets say that I'm using my study room so the light is on and my wife's sitting and watching TV in the living room and that light is also on.
When someone presses the doorbell, this triggers to make all light flashes repeatedly (5 times) - but in the end, all the lights are "on". I had to go on the app and turn the light off manually for each light which I don't want.

Here is what I've done on Homekits.

1. Press Front Doorbell Camera and click on the settings.
2. Selected the "Accessories" and select the "Front Door" button.
3. I choose "Actions" (Single Press) and selected "Shortcut"
4. Add Action > Scripting > If
5. Clicked on "Input" and selected "Select a Home Accessory". I want all lights but seems I can't multiple select them. So I picked "Study Room"
If Study Room [Is On]
Repeat 5 times
Set Study Room [Off]
Wait 1 second
Set Study Room [On]
Wait 1 second
End Repeat
Otherwise
Repeat 5 times
Set Study Room [On]
Wait 1 second
Set Study Room [Off]
Wait 1 second
End if

Test This Action and it works just how I wanted, but I'm unable to get ALL lights to work together at the same time.
I've tried to group them lights together but for some reason, it just doesn't work :s

Any advice/tip for me or am I missing something?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm Deaf, I rely on doorbell light flashes around my home.
I've been using IFTTT to trigger Lifx from my Ring doorbell but this has failed me from time to time (due to polling/delay on their server and causing me to miss answering the door).
A friend of mine told me a bit about Homekits so I've decided to go ahead and bought my first iPad.
After fiddling about it, learning the rope, etc.. seems to be all added with no issues. However, I'm struggling to get this to work to HOW I wanted to see.

Here's my example of what I'm hoping to achieve.

Living Room/Hall/Kitchen/Bedrooms/Bathroom/Garage/etc lights set to "light off" since as some of us are not using those room but in my case, lets say that I'm using my study room so the light is on and my wife's sitting and watching TV in the living room and that light is also on.
When someone presses the doorbell, this triggers to make all light flashes repeatedly (5 times) - but in the end, all the lights are "on". I had to go on the app and turn the light off manually for each light which I don't want.

Here is what I've done on Homekits.

1. Press Front Doorbell Camera and click on the settings.
2. Selected the "Accessories" and select the "Front Door" button.
3. I choose "Actions" (Single Press) and selected "Shortcut"
4. Add Action > Scripting > If
5. Clicked on "Input" and selected "Select a Home Accessory". I want all lights but seems I can't multiple select them. So I picked "Study Room"
If Study Room [Is On]
Repeat 5 times
Set Study Room [Off]
Wait 1 second
Set Study Room [On]
Wait 1 second
End Repeat
Otherwise
Repeat 5 times
Set Study Room [On]
Wait 1 second
Set Study Room [Off]
Wait 1 second
End if

Test This Action and it works just how I wanted, but I'm unable to get ALL lights to work together at the same time.
I've tried to group them lights together but for some reason, it just doesn't work :s

Any advice/tip for me or am I missing something?

I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to iMore. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you with your questions.

Colt45UK

Jan 29, 2022
Visit site
Currently, I've an answer from Shane Whatley on his Youtube channel, he said that "Signals for Homekits" would do the job, so I've given that app a try and even upgraded it to Signals Plus.

I'm still having trouble getting it to work too. The light flashes just how I wanted (thank for that Signals) - but I'm unable to link to HomeKits/Shortcut as I'm getting this error.

Shortcut-Error-with-Signals-2.png

I've just contacted the developer of that app via email, so I'm just waiting for some answer from them but if anyone knows how to fix this, I'd appreciate some answer asap :)
Thanks

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Currently, I've an answer from Shane Whatley on his Youtube channel, he said that "Signals for Homekits" would do the job, so I've given that app a try and even upgraded it to Signals Plus.

I'm still having trouble getting it to work too. The light flashes just how I wanted (thank for that Signals) - but I'm unable to link to HomeKits/Shortcut as I'm getting this error.

View attachment 131644

I've just contacted the developer of that app via email, so I'm just waiting for some answer from them but if anyone knows how to fix this, I'd appreciate some answer asap :)
Thanks

Please let us know what you find out from the app's developer!

Colt45UK

Jan 29, 2022
Visit site
Got a reply from the developer. - I was a bit disappointed with the Home Kits so far. I really do wish there's a solution for it - especially me being Deaf and I'd thought "Apple" would be brilliant with accessibility but I guess wrong :(

Here's the reply I got in email.

Thanks for writing in! I’m sorry to hear that you’re having some issues — there are a few points here that I’ll address, and hopefully narrow in on answering your questions:

Signals for HomeKit only has the ability to trigger your lights in the Mac version — unfortunately, Apple has restricted the ability to do this on iPhones and iPads, and it’s simply impossible for any 3rd-party app to interact with any HomeKit devices while the app is not in the foreground (i.e. — you’re actually interacting with the App, either on-screen, or via Siri). These restrictions are slightly different on the Mac, and as a result, the app is able to interact with HomeKit devices while in the background, and would allow you to trigger a Signal, or even run a Shortcut when events like Motion Detected, Doors Opened/Closed, etc.
Ring doorbells are, unfortunately, not HomeKit compatible, and so would not work with Signals, even on the Mac. Ring had announced that it was working on HomeKit compatibility years ago (possibly as far back as 2017?), but never delivered on it. It is possible get Ring working in HomeKit with a product like HomeBridge or HOOBS — if you were interested in going down that route, it could be a possibility.

Because of these limitations, Signals on iPhone/iPad is designed more as a communication aid - you can use it to flash lights throughout the home to get attention without shouting, for example.​

So, looks like I'm out of luck for the time being? - Stupid question but is there's small mac computer that I can run 24/7 on a shelf somewhere - like raspberry pi size or similar? - I don't think there is but who knows?

Colt45UK

Jan 29, 2022
Visit site
Here's another update - I've spoke to an agent via Apple Live Chat today.

They said that iPad is fully supported but have also confirmed me that Mini Mac will not work but suggested me to get Mac Pro(?) - Isn't that a bit extreme just for HomeKits?

Got an email from the developer about an hour ago.

Just to be clear, the restrictions I mentioned regarding the inability to communicate with HomeKit devices while they’re in the background is not a bug - it’s how HomeKit is designed. Apple’s reasoning behind it is power management - if 3rd party apps had this ability, it would open up the device to be run out of battery very quickly by an app that misbehaves. Myself, and several other developers have been trying to convince Apple to ease this restriction for several years now, and this is the only reason that I need to offer this functionality on Mac-only - not because the iPad is incompatible with HomeKit, but because the Mac offers me new ways to keep the app ‘in the foreground’ that aren’t available on iOS, and therefore work around the restrictions.

It’s unfortunate, but there isn’t any quick fix for this - I wish I had a better story, but I don’t want to mislead, or set the wrong expectations. I actually agree that there’s a powerful story to tell with this functionality and those with hearing impairments, but unfortunately, it’s currently out of my control

Thanks,
M​

Now, I'm stuck in between!

Is Apple playing around with me? - What's my next move? - Any suggestion?
Should I give up Apple and stick to my regular android device?