Ultra Owners: What does your orange button do?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Apple calls it the Action Button and it can initiate one of 7 actions, and the button can perform a different action on the second press for a couple of the actions.

For now, I'm using mine to start outdoor run. I've yet to use the second press which is to mark a segment.

I'm expecting future software upgrades will add functionality because it is of minimal practical benefit so far. Everything it does, I can accomplish with Siri (through AirPods). At a minimum, I'd like to be able to select what happens with second press (e.g., Stop Run). And of course, I'm intrigued with the potential for Shortcuts.

So, if you have an Ultra, what does your orange button do? What would you like it to do?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Right now it's set to start the workout app. I agree: I'd like to be able to configure what it can do in app. (I have marked segments, though accidentally when I pressed it to see what would happen.)

I wish it wasn't orange. It's not a deal-breaker, but I'd prefer just a plain button.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
This is a great question. I first had it set to start a workout, but like you said, I just use Siri for that. I changed it to shortcut thinking I could use it for an automation I have in the home app. The only shortcuts that are available right now are, Take a break, Music Quiz, and Shazam shortcut, which I don't use any of that.
For now, it's just a button that gets in the way when I use my thumb and finger to press either the crown or the button on the right side.
So, my request would be to be able to run a shortcut of my choosing.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I wish it wasn't orange. It's not a deal-breaker, but I'd prefer just a plain button.

I wonder if it could be painted?? (Not joking.) I read yesterday about a jeweler (in Cal?) who was selling Ultras with a polished case. It made the watch look like stainless, all for the low low price of $1600 - $800 for the Ultra and $800 for polishing. Personally, I rather like the matte finish.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I created a shortcut to unlock my front door through the Home app. Still working on getting it to lock as well.

Thanks for the tip.
I just created the unlock my back door shortcut and added it to the watch. Tested it out and works.
Then, I edited the shortcut to check if it's locked, then unlock and if it's unlocked then lock.
It seems to be working.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro