Ultimate Guide for Using iPhone & iPad via Bluetooth (i.a. Bluetooth keyboard)

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Ultimate (Bluetooth) keyboard guide for iDevices

• You maybe know that you can pair bluetooth keyboards with your iDevices (iPad, iPhone, iPod) and can use it for typing and editing text. On iPad it makes a little bit more sense because you have a bigger screen and can "convert" your tablet to a lightweight laptop with basic functions.
  • If your iDevices are Jailbroken then you have additionally a lot of more options and tweaks which you can use to make this setup a lot more productive and also cool :cool:
  • There are different things to cover and you also need hardware, software and setup, but I will always note what you need, where you can get them and how to set them right ;)
  • I'm from Germany, so the language (in the screenshots) is set to German, but that shouldn't be a problem for you, most of the stuff is in English or sounds similar. The word "Tastatur" means "Keyboard". If you don't understand something just ask and I will try my best to help you :)

I will just cover these 4 setups:
  1. Using Bluetooth Keyboards with iDevices without Jailbreak
  2. Using Bluetooth Keyboards with iDevices with Jailbreak with a lot of options
  3. Using your Mac/MacBook Keyboard with iDevices without Jailbreak (Keyboard doesn't have to be a bluetooth keyboard, the built-in keyboard and any other works also)
  4. Using your Mac/MacBook Keyboard with iDevices with Jailbreak

1. Bluetooth Keyboards with iDevices without Jailbreak

Requirement:
  • iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
  • Bluetooth Keyboard

Notes:
  • This is the easiest setup.
  • You can use any bluetooth keyboard which is iOS compatible.
  • I strongly recommend the Instructions:[/COLOR][/B]
    • I will explain once how to connect a bluetooth keyboard with a iDevice.
    • Turn your bluetooth keyboard on. (Every keyboard is different, the apple wireless keyboard has its power button on the right side. Just hit the button and a green light should go on)
    • Turn your iDevice on
    • Go to Settings app, Go to Bluetooth and turn it on
    • Now search for bluetooth devices and select the keyboard which should appear here
    • If you didn't pair it before, you have to do it now. Just hit the available keyboard on the list and follow the instruction on the iDevice screen. It will prompt you to enter a specific code and to hit the enter/return button.
    • If you did it right then it should be connected, see screenshot below

1. Pair Device.png

• Now you can use the keyboard to enter text trough the bluetooth keyboard, therefore the system keyboard on the screen won't be shown until you disconnect the bluetooth keyboard.
    • Some keyboard does have special keys which simulates the home button, lock/unlock the device or have multimedia buttons etc.

2. Bluetooth Keyboards with iDevices with Jailbreak

Requirement:
    • Jailbroken iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
    • Bluetooth Keyboard
    • BeeKeyboard
    • BeeKeyboard Addons
    Notes:
    • With a Jailbroken iDevice you have to do exactly the same steps as mentioned above.
    • Additionally you can install and use Keyboard tweaks to improve your experience
    • I recommend using BeeKeyboard from Cydia, which allows you to (re)assign keys, shortcuts and functions. There is a article in iDownloadBlog with a video review: [url=http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/14/beekeyboard/]BeeKeyboard: customizable Bluetooth keyboard shortcuts are finally coming to iOS

Instructions:
    • Go to Cydia
    • Search 'BeeKeyboard", you should have a list like in the screenshot below

2. Cydia BeeKeyboard.PNG
    • You can install any of the addons, but double check if it's compatible with your iOS version.
    • I recommend just to use those which I use, the rest is integrated in the activator add-on too, to you won't benefit to install the others too.
    • BeeKeyboard: The tweak itself (necessary)
    • BasicAddon: Lets you assign keys for invoking Notification Center, Control Center, leaving apps etc. (is possible with Activator Addon, too)
    • Safari Addon: Lets you assign keys for the usage with Safari browser like creating new tabs, switching tabs, zoom in/out etc.
    • KeyboardMouse: Places a virtual mouse on you iDevice screen to navigate with the keyboard on the screen and to "click" with buttons etc.
    • Activator Addon: Lets you assign keys and combinations for almost everything which is possible with Activator like invoking Notification Center, Control Center, leaving apps, invoking switcher, take screenshots and million other actions (highly recommended)
    • Homescreen Addon: Lets you assign keys for invoking Notification Center, Control Center, leaving apps etc. (is possible with Activator Addon, too)
    • BeeSafari: it's the iOS6 version of BeeKeyboard Safari Addon (DON'T install that if you're on iOS7)
    • iCADEHelper: Lets you control games which support iCade like TempleRun, but I didn't test that, because I have no usage for that
    • SendMessages: Simulates the tap on the "Send" button on almost every messenger app and other apps,too, like Whatsapp, Telegram, Facebook Messenger, but also Drafts etc.
    • After installing them you have to set shortcuts for actions and apps
    • In the following picture you see how that works.
    • You choose a action or an app and tap on it
    • Then you have to hit the shortcut with you bluetooth keyboard. You can set everything how you like it.

3__Set_copy2.png
    • Here are some of my assignments, but just choose what fits your needs and is easy to remember (Don't be confused, I use a German keyboard, so some keys are located on other places like "Y" and "Z" are exchanged etc.)
    Actions
    • cmd+H: Home button
    • cmd+Z: Screenshot
    • cmd+\: Control Center
    • cmd+': Notification Center
    • cmd+F: Spotlight search
    • cmd+S: Siri

Apps
    • cmd+D: Drafts
    • cmd+M: Facebook Messenger
    • cmd+T: Telegram
    • cmd+W: Whatsapp
    • Additionally to the setup until now, you can also use a Virtual Mouse (for navigation on the screen),the Send function and a Safari Addon
    • KeyboardMouse places a mouse on your screen and you can use this mouse with keys like the arrows and enter/return for clicking (as you can see on the screenshots). You can also toggle the mouse on/off. I use the "fn+return" for it.

Mouse Addon1.png

Mouse Addon 2.PNG
    • SendMessages: As mentioned above it simulates the tap on the "Send" button on almost every messenger app and other apps,too, like Whatsapp, Telegram, Facebook Messenger, but also Drafts etc.
    • You can add any app which has a "send" or similar button on the screen by just hitting the command "cmd+return". You can also change that to a different shortcut.
    • Safari Addon: Lets you assign keys for the usage with Safari browser like creating new tabs, switching tabs, zoom in/out etc.
    • Just open the settings in BeeKeyboard and configure how you like it. It's preset, but you can change them if you prefer other combinations.
    • Here's my assignment which I use on my iPad, (because on my iPhone it doesn't make much sense for me)

Safari Addon (iPad).PNG

3. Mac/MacBook Keyboard with iDevices without Jailbreak

Requirement:
    • Mac with a keyboard (like a apple keyboard with or without bluetooth)
    • MacBook
    • iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
    • 1Keyboard (for Mac)

Notes:
    • Now it's about writing with your Mac's keyboard on your iDevice. The keyboard of your Mac can be a bluetooth keyboard, a keyboard with a cord, the built-in keyboard of your MacBook etc., that doesn't matter.
    • You need the Mac App 1Keyboard, which pretends that your Mac's keyboard is a bluetooth keyboard (no matter if it's true or not) and lets you type with one keyboard on your Mac OS and also on your iDevices.
    • You can switch between the Mac and your iDevices with shortcuts which you can assign.
    • You can use multiple devices (which doesn't have to be iDevices) at the same time and can switch between them.

Instructions:
    • Download and install 1Keyboard on your Mac. It lives in your menu bar.
    Z. Keyboard 1.png
    • Pair your device(s) with you Mac, (just how you did at the beginning with a bluetooth keyboard)
    • Assign shortcuts to switch between Mac OS and your devices. In my case I chose "ctrl+?" to switch between the main system (Mac) and your previously used device. If you have more than one device then it makes sense to assign a shortcut for each device, as I did for my iPhone and iPad (as you can see in the screenshot)

Z. Keyboard 2.png
    • Now you can freely enter text to your devices and switch between them with just key strokes. You don't even need a bluetooth keyboard but your running Mac. The whole setup works great, but it still have some drawbacks like you can't "send" a message you entered through the keyboard to your iDevice in apps like Whatsapp and other messenger... but if you have jailbroken devices then you can make everything perfect with the best working setup 4.

4. Mac/MacBook Keyboard with iDevices with Jailbreak

Requirement:
    • Mac with a keyboard (like a apple keyboard with or without bluetooth)
    • MacBook
    • Jailbroken iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
    • 1Keyboard (for Mac)
    • BeeKeyboard
    • BeeKeyboard Addons

Notes:
    • This setup works exactly like setup 3 with a running Mac which has 1Keyboard installed which pretends to be a bluetooth keyboard for your iDevices, but additionally you also have BeeKeyboard installed on your jailbroken iDevices.
    • Now you can use your iDevice (almost) completely without even touching it again
    • I use this setup to use my iPhone at home and in university etc. without even touching it, because I can do everything with the described settings and assignments of setup 2 on my iDevices but control them with my Mac.
    • You can lock/unlock your device, invoke Notification Center, Control Center, invoke Siri, launch app and everything else you assigned in the BeeKeyboard settings.
    • With the Mouse Addon you can move on the screen for example to go back a view or conversation in messenger and select other spots/conversations etc.
    • With the Send function you don't have to touch your display and can freely chat and send your message in messenger apps like iMessage, Whatsapp etc.
    • One Drawback: you can't scroll. Actually you can but it's too cumbersome to hold one spot with the mouse and move it with arrow :straight-face:

Instructions:
    • Turn bluetooth on your Mac and iDevice on
    • Pair your device(s) with you Mac, (just how you did at the beginning with a bluetooth keyboard)
    • Use your assigned shortcuts to switch between Mac OS and your iDevice
    • Use your BeeKeyboard actions, shortcuts and assignments to control your iDevice

Sequence:
    Here's a example sequence of my life (at home and in university while studying) :p
    • Getting messages/notifications
    • Wake device: cmd+H for the home button to wake the device and check the lock screen
    • Unlock device: cmd+L to unlock the device
    • Invoke Notification Center: cmd+' to invoke the Notification Center and check all notifications, if I didn't already do that on lock screen
    • Select Notification: Use arrow keys to navigate the virtual mouse to the desired notification and select it with a click (enter/return button)
    • Write Message and send: Type the message and send it with "cmd+return"
    • Switch to other apps: Use a shortcut to switch to frequently used apps like Whatsapp (cmd+W) or Telegram (cmd+T) etc.
    • Check Control Center: cmd+\: To invoke Control Center and use the virtual mouse to navigate and click
    • Lock device:cmd+L to lock the device
    • Switch to Mac OS: ctrl+? to switch back to Mac and work ;)

People are mostly very confused and amazed (at the same time) how I could use iPhone and iPad without even touching. They say it's somehow spooky and nerdy xD
    Everything works fluently and maybe Apple will implement all this in future OS versions to make everything easier.
    I hope I could help or inspire someone to use this or a similar setup. Feel free to ask questions, I will try my best to help you :)

Last edited:

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Took me damn 2,5 hours with all the formatting stuff, check this online (not with some apps) you'll be surprised :p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR