U.S. Secret Service blames iMessage for lost texts during January 6 insurrection

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let me get this straight. The agents phones were wiped in preparation of them switching to a different messaging service. Right? With that being said, it is safe to assume none of them had the Messages in the cloud option enabled and/or they didn’t have it set to keep messages “Forever” enabled in the Message settings.

Since iMessages are encrypted end to end, Uncle Sam wants to be able to read those messages on occasion so it makes sense for them to move away from using the secure iMessage feature. Did I miss anything?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
So, they were using iMessage without any save function on, you can imagine why that might be. Then they deleted iMessages.
Mass sighs of relief among the lower echelons I would suspect ! You are not going to convince me that everyone did not know what would happen. And someone else to blame… Hooray !

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Let me get this straight. The agents phones were wiped in preparation of them switching to a different messaging service.

[…]
Did I miss anything?
From what I read, they were migrating to a different Mobile Device Management (MDM) platform.

In other words, a different device administration/configuration platform. They can, as administrators, disable iMessage (or SMS, or both) on their entire fleet of mobile devices, and there’s nothing the government employee can do about it — besides leaving the organization.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I read, they were migrating to a different Mobile Device Management (MDM) platform.

In other words, a different device administration/configuration platform. They can, as administrators, disable iMessage (or SMS, or both) on their entire fleet of mobile devices, and there’s nothing the government employee can do about it — besides leaving the organization.

No doubt about that…. ;)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like the secret service IT folks didn’t do the necessary background research before assigning iPhones.

I wouldn’t blame iMessage. I’d blame the IT staff for failing to do their jobs.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like the secret service is trying to blame apple for their conspiracy to cover up their crimes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73