Two way syncing?

zrs70

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
I have read all the stuff, including the most recent fact sheet Apple sent about the iPhone. They specifies that we can check our appointments/ contact on the iPhone. They also say that if we don't use a desktop program, we can still add stuff directly on to the phone.

But what I am unclear on is this.... If we add something on to the phone, will it sync to our desktop info? Or is it a one-way sync only?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Since you can publish your iCal online I image you could at least sync your calendar. I haven't used .Mac in a long time but I believe iSync also can do the same with contacts. I would be surprised if you couldn't.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I just read that iSync works with iPods as well, so I would imagine iPhone definitely would work (being an iPod as well as a phone).

zrs70

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
Well, I am hoping to simply sync via itunes. I am hoping that when I make appointments, add to do notes, and edit contacts while on the road, that I can sync up to my Mac when I get home!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
OT, but they say you need an iTunes account to set up your iPhone. I have one, but still, it seems they really want you tied in with them!

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
OT, but they say you need an iTunes account to set up your iPhone. I have one, but still, it seems they really want you tied in with them!

Isn't Outlook supposed to be a conduit also? It's not as if Palm or MS have directly provided flexible sources to choose from. There are obvious reasons for that model, both from business and technical considerations.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I could use all my phones(for basic calls and text) out of the box after they're charged, if I'd wanted to.

P.S. I read below, iPhone probably would work out of the box, whew!

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Since you only seem to be talking in circles, so ... Here is Apple's response (which I have no doubt has been read plenty of times before):

Making a call with iPhone is as simple as tapping a name. You won't need to re-enter all your contacts because iPhone syncs with the address book you already use on your computer?Address Book or Entourage on a Mac, or Outlook or Outlook Express on a PC. If you keep your contacts on the web using Yahoo! Address Book, iPhone can sync with them, too. To get ready for iPhone, organize your contacts in one of these applications and make sure they're up to date with the latest phone numbers and email addresses. If you don't have contacts on your computer, don't worry. You can still enter them directly into iPhone.

Using its built-in calendar, iPhone lets you check your appointments with the flick of a finger. iPhone uses iTunes to sync with the calendar application you already use on your computer?iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on a PC?just like it does with your contacts. If you don't already use one of these applications to manage your appointments, now is a great time to start, so you'll be ready to sync when your iPhone arrives. If you choose not to use a calendar program, that's OK. You'll be able to enter appointments directly into the iPhone calendar.

iPhone is the first phone to come with a desktop-class email application. So now your phone can display rich HTML email with graphics and photos alongside the text. iPhone will even fetch your latest email every time you open the application and automatically retrieve your email on a set schedule, just like a computer does. iPhone works with the most popular email systems?including Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, AOL, and .Mac Mail. If you're not already using one of these services, now would be a great time to get an account. iTunes will make email setup on iPhone a breeze by automatically syncing the settings from email accounts stored in Mail on a Mac or Outlook on a PC. Don't worry if you're not on one of these email services; iPhone also works with almost any industry-standard POP3 and IMAP email system.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I never saw that. I haven't read all there is to know about iPhone since I'm only lightly interested, for the most part.

Good to know you don't necessarily need iTunes for everything! Thanks for posting that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73