Two things I think Apple finally got right.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
As a long time OS switcher there are 2 things that Apple finally got right on the X. Wireless charging and tap to wake. Android has had both for years and they are 2 of my favorite features. It feels kinda weird tapping to wake an iPhone and laying it on my Samsung Fast Charging pad to charge it.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Re: Two things...

Tap to wake yes, but implemented badly. Screen very often turns on when just picking up the phone to carry it around. Way too sensitive, and/or should be double tap to wake like in some Androids. Had to turn it off as it drove me crazy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Tap to wake yes, but implemented badly. Screen very often turns on when just picking up the phone to carry it around. Way too sensitive, and/or should be double tap to wake like in some Androids. Had to turn it off as it drove me crazy.

You can disable the “raise to wake” option in the settings.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I never had raise to wake on. Tap to wake only.

The only thing left to do outside of a full fledge restore is to “reset all settings”. I mean, I can pickup my iPhone X all day long and the screen will not come on until I either tap it or press the side button. In addition, when the display is off, I can drop it on my bed in its front or back and the screen will not light up.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

The only thing left to do outside of a full fledge restore is to “reset all settings”. I mean, I can pickup my iPhone X all day long and the screen will not come on until I either tap it or press the side button. In addition, when the display is off, I can drop it on my bed in its front or back and the screen will not light up.

Congratulations.
I had 3 Xs. A silver and a black, 64 GB each, borrowed, for testing for a couple of days. Now I have a black 256GB since last week which will probably become mine. I had this on all 3 Xs, and ended up turning tap to wake off on all 3.
Oh yes, I can also drop it on my bed both sides, and it will not light up. Why would it?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Congratulations.
I had 3 Xs. A silver and a black, 64 GB each, borrowed, for testing for a couple of days. Now I have a black 256GB since last week which will probably become mine. I had this on all 3 Xs, and ended up turning tap to wake off on all 3.
Oh yes, I can also drop it on my bed both sides, and it will not light up. Why would it?

You know what? I just went back to read your original post and somehow, I missed the last sentence where you said you had to turn the raise to wake feature off. I was proceeding under the assumption that your display was turning on without your intervention. My misunderstanding. Sorry.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I love both tap to wake and raise to wake. Occasionally one interferes with the other, but early rarely. Wireless charging I can live without honestly. I get the appeal of it, but with my set up I don't have room for wireless chargers. I barely can find a place to charge wired. My nightstand isn't very deep, and I don't want to move my MBP to another location because I use it too much at night.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

You know what? I just went back to read your original post and somehow, I missed the last sentence where you said you had to turn the raise to wake feature off. I was proceeding under the assumption that your display was turning on without your intervention. My misunderstanding. Sorry.

Just to clarify:

Raise to wake was always off.
Tap to wake was on, but in one out of 3 or 4 cases, when I picked the phone up, and my fingers or palm touched the screen, it turned on. So I had to switch off tap to wake.

My point was, that the tap to wake implementations that I know in the Android world work without that flaw, because they were actually designed as 'double tap to wake', so a single finger or palm tap when picking it up would not create a misfire.

So, I think it's good that Apple introduced this feature, however, as usual, they decided to do it their own way, and not in the well established and properly working way on other platforms, which was, imho, in this case, not a very good idea.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Just to clarify:

Tap to wake was on, but in one out of 3 or 4 cases, when I picked the phone up, and my fingers or palm touched the screen, it turned on. So I had to switch off tap to wake.

My point was, that the tap to wake implementations that I know in the Android world work without that flaw, because they were actually designed as 'double tap to wake', so a single finger or palm tap when picking it up would not create a misfire.

So, I think it's good that Apple introduced this feature, however, as usual, they decided to do it their own way, and not in the well established and properly working way on other platforms, which was, imho, in this case, not a very good idea.

Understood

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Just to clarify:

I understand this and agree somewhat but I still use tap to wake because even when the phone is inadvertently turned on when getting picked up, it’ll turn off if you don’t swipe up. In a sense it is a two step to get to the desktop but instead of two taps it is a tap and a swipe.

And yes I enjoy the wireless charging though I don’t always use it. Depends on what case I’m rocking that day but since I have a couple of wireless chargers laying around it’s easy to just plop the phone down when I’m not using it to get it charged some.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone X tap to wake works pretty well and I haven’t had any misfires. Unfortunately I don’t use wireless charging at the moment.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 Samsung Fast Charge wireless pads that work with my X and my Note 8. That is a huge step in the right direction for Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR