Two questions on Secure trash and restores from Time Machine

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I have two unrelated questions that have puzzled me that I can't find complete answers to!

1. The option to "Empty trash securely" is not available in deleting Trash, or in Finder Prefs under the Advanced tab (I am on Sierra 10.12.5). Is this because I have my MBP '16 set up with an encrypted drive, and it automatically does a secure delete?

2. I was thinking - I did the upgrade yesterday to 10.12.5. I do regular backups to an external Time Machine disk. If I did a full restore to a backup on the older side of the recent mac OS backup, would it revert to the older version of OS present at the time, or does it just back up and subsequently restore my stuff?

Thanks!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I have two unrelated questions that have puzzled me that I can't find complete answers to!

1. The option to "Empty trash securely" is not available in deleting Trash, or in Finder Prefs under the Advanced tab (I am on Sierra 10.12.5). Is this because I have my MBP '16 set up with an encrypted drive, and it automatically does a secure delete?

2. I was thinking - I did the upgrade yesterday to 10.12.5. I do regular backups to an external Time Machine disk. If I did a full restore to a backup on the older side of the recent mac OS backup, would it revert to the older version of OS present at the time, or does it just back up and subsequently restore my stuff?

Thanks!

1. If your drive is already encrypted then you're good. No need in worrying about secure erase on an encrypted drive. If it isn't encrypted, the option isn't available because Secure Erase isn't supported on the SSD's.

2. Yes, it would revert back to the previous OS. Make sure you do a backup after you complete the upgrade to keep things current. Unless, of course, you want to revert back to the previous OS for some reason.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR