Two 7p's acting differently?

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
i have 2 identical 7p's. one won't download new ios updates nor install without A/C and wifi connections. the other downloads and installs ios updates with neither of the two. i can't find any settings for this automatic update behavior for ios. in 'settings'-'itunes &a app store'- there are settings for app, music, ibooks, and updates, and all are turned off---though i don't know if the one called 'updates' refers to ios updates.
any idea why my phones are acting differently?
thanks!

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying one updates OS automatically? Explain that.

yes exactly. One phone, whenever an ios update is available, doesn't prompt me to do anything. I won't know there's an update available unless I see the badge icon on the Settings app. And then when I go to settings-general-software update, it tells me I need to be connected to both an AC and Wi-Fi source to download the update. so after I connect the phone to Wi-Fi and AC I first have to click 'agree' after tapping 'download'. and then after it downloads I have to click 'agree' after manually tapping 'install'. and that's pretty much how all iOS updates have acted on any iPhone i owned. this is normal typical behavior as far as I'm concerned.

The other identical phone apparently downloads the software in the background when the phone is neither on Wi-Fi nor AC power. so this morning, as an example, I had that phone in my hand and was texting somebody and all of a sudden a dialog box popped up and said 'iOS update 10.2.1 is ready to install'. and it asked me to either tap 'install now' or 'remind me later'. because this has happened with the last two or three iOS updates since I bought the phone in September, I was used to it, so I just tapped 'install now'. further, what's equally odd is the behavior when I click install: the the screen goes black, then the progress bar for installing appears with the white screen, then a second later goes black again, then the white screen appears again, goes black, and then comes back again, and then the install proceeds typically after that. but every install I've done before on my other iPhones goes differently: normally, when the install initiates, the screen goes dark and then the white progress screen comes up just one time and stays like that until the phone reboots. So this is another thing that's just totally bizarre.

a lot of detail, but that's pretty much it.

any ideas?

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
coincidentally, I posted about another problem with this phone compared to the normally behaving other one. In that case photos and videos are being tagged by location and grouped in albums with very specific information about where I've been, even though I have all location services off and I'm not using any third-party camera software. Anyways I figured that was relevant because this is not the only inexplicable thing this phone is doing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's downloading automatically, but not installing. You have to tap install for that. Not sure why it's doing that. Is it on the beta? I'm on the beta, but haven't installed it. I wish to remain on 10.1.1. The beta for 10.3 keeps downloading. I delete it, but it keeps coming back. It's in the list in settlngs > General > Usage > Manage storage.
8db6198c5baec0f1c24cb3f6104f5409.jpg

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
yea. bought them both new thru att app. came in mail in shrink wrapped boxes. assume not returned ones. haven't restored it. i have encrypted backups but all from after i noticed it had been acting funny, so no point restoring i imagine. you mean do factory reset n then plug in and set up as new thru itunes? haven't don't that. but again, it'd be restored from a back up of the funny acting fone. i could see if i have an old backup from the one it replaced - a 5s - but not sure i wanna go that route. never had any beta ios on it. weird stuff.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR