Turn off LTE?

smmullen

Aug 31, 2011
www.endgamepr.com
I was just reading this article on todaysiphone.com that mentioned how LTE uses more data to do the same things as 3G. I really don't want to go over my data limit, and for now (until I get the phone and figure things out) I only have the 2gb plan on VZW.

Here's a link: iPhone 5 to double mobile data consumption for iOS - TodaysiPhone.com

So, here's the question: Is there normally a way to turn off LTE and go with 3G only? With my current 3G phone, I rarely approach 1gb, let alone 2gbs. I know just because the iPhone 5 will do more than my current phone, I'll likely use more data. Add in LTE sucking up extra data, and I may be in trouble.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It'll be the same concept as the 4 and 4S where there is a switch for "cellular data".

Sent from my i4 using Tapatalk

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I think you may be reading that wrong. The article isn't saying that LTE uses more data than 3G to do the same thing. It's saying people that have LTE connections tend to use more data.

For example, if you stream a YouTube clip over a 3G phone, let's say it uses 10mb of data to play that clip. (I just made that amount up. No idea how much it actually uses) A LTE phone streaming the same clip will use the same 10mb for that clip. What the article is alluding to is that because the connection is so much faster, people who would normally have avoided streaming a video because of buffering, video quality etc. will now stream more movies and clips. But data consumption for the same action is equal no matter what the connection is.

Reactions: BreakingKayfabe

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I think you may be reading that wrong. The article isn't saying that LTE uses more data than 3G to do the same thing. It's saying people that have LTE connections tend to use more data.

For example, if you stream a YouTube clip over a 3G phone, let's say it uses 10mb of data to play that clip. (I just made that amount up. No idea how much it actually uses) A LTE phone streaming the same clip will use the same 10mb for that clip. What the article is alluding to is that because the connection is so much faster, people who would normally have avoided streaming a video because of buffering, video quality etc. will now stream more movies and clips. But data consumption for the same action is equal no matter what the connection is.

Exactly ...and on a hands on video I did see a specific toggle for LTE

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

smmullen

Aug 31, 2011
www.endgamepr.com

Here's the third paragraph of the article I linked, which makes your point but also mine:

"This is not a huge surprise. LTE will make it just that much each easier for iOS users to do all the things they love on their phones. What?s more, 4G data connections simply require more data to deliver those super quick speeds that everyone is so excited for."

MrLogan

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Delivering higher speeds definitely requires more bandwidth; but that third paragraph must be understood in the context of the rest of the article.

Every time an iPhone is equipped with a quicker mobile internet connection, a sizable increase in mobile data consumption isn?t far behind. Continuing with that trend, one mobile intelligence analyst firm predicts that the 4G LTE-equipped iPhone 5 will double the total data consumption of iPhone users.

Here's the third paragraph of the article I linked, which makes your point but also mine:

"This is not a huge surprise. LTE will make it just that much each easier for iOS users to do all the things they love on their phones. What?s more, 4G data connections simply require more data to deliver those super quick speeds that everyone is so excited for."

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I dont know how lte "requires more data for the same tasks" It is data just with lte it will come quicker, not using more data just giving you more time to do things with your phone and potentially use more data. That article seems a little off base, especially with how I have used 3g and lte devices and my data usage didnt vary that much.

smmullen

Aug 31, 2011
www.endgamepr.com
It sounds like either the article is flat wrong, or at minimum poorly worded. Regardless, I got the answer I needed -- I can indeed turn off LTE. I'm not sure 4G coverage is all that great in this area anyhow.

Thanks for the help.

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think they should have said it requires more bandwidth. But not actual data consumption. I could be way off, but my understanding of how cellular data works is that no matter the connection type, the same amount of data is transferred. A 3G or LTE or Wi-fi connection all uses the same amount of data to transfer a file. If you think about it, if you download an attachment that is 200mb, how could LTE use 250mb to transfer that? It doesn't make sense to me how that could be.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I would think some things on the iphone 5 will increase data. Front camera is HD. For video streaming, an app may detect a faster connection and give you better quality...which means more data. The iOS 5 youtube app didn't play in HQ did it? (I never used it).

I don't know about data usage doubling, but I'd expect it to go up.

ilongbored

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a couple sources around the Internet showing that there is an LTE toggle as well as a Data toggle.

What is interesting to me, is this would be the first AT&T LTE phone that allows the user to turn off LTE. Next time you're in an AT&T store, pick up a phone and try to turn LTE off. I think AT&T wants people off their congested HSPA+ network and wants them using more data towards their bandwidth caps on LTE. (/conspiracy)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like either the article is flat wrong, or at minimum poorly worded. Regardless, I got the answer I needed -- I can indeed turn off LTE. I'm not sure 4G coverage is all that great in this area anyhow.

Thanks for the help.

Honestly, if you're streaming stuff like YouTube videos over cellular, you're going to have the same quality
options to choose from. For example, the YouTube mobile site. But if I'm downloading some songs from
iTunes, I'm doing that on LTE. LTE is freaking fast.