Trying to set up a new iPhone XR from an old iPhone 6s

veryeasilyconfused

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Got an upgrade today, an iPhone XR and just trying to set it up. Struggling a bit as I'm a bit of a technophobe !!

Old phone was a iPhone 6s. No idea what software update it was on. I've swapped the sim to the new phone and it's transferring information from the old one. It is also trying to do a software update but it seems stuck on the 'install now' screen with the circle whirring.

It's been over an hour so far. Is this normal ? Anyone who's not completely useless like me able to advise ?

Thank you.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore, it's good to have you here! I've never actually transferred items from one iPhone to another... I've always had that done at the store from where I make the purchases. That said, I do not think that it's unusual that this is taking so long to install, especially if you're updating the software in addition to transferring stuff from one iPhone to another. Hang in there. Hopefully, others will chime in and offer their opinions.

veryeasilyconfused

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi Annie, thanks so much for your reply. Have I done the right thing by changing the sim over before setting up ? I'm useless and probably should have waited for the kids to come home !! It's now been 1 hour and 45 minutes !! Still stuck on that screen.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Annie, thanks so much for your reply. Have I done the right thing by changing the sim over before setting up ? I'm useless and probably should have waited for the kids to come home !! It's now been 1 hour and 45 minutes !! Still stuck on that screen.

Sadly, I'm not completely sure about that. I have never transferred from one iPhone to another... I've always let someone do that when I purchase the iPhone. I'm looking around to see if I can find someone to help you.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
Have you backed your 6S up to either iCloud or iTunes? What I usually do is back up the old phone to iCloud and iTunes, sign into iCloud on the new phone and restore that backup to the new phone. Within an hour I’m all set up on the new phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When you say "transferring info from old one", do you mean setting it up from a back up? Did you initiate the OS update? Is your wifi signal strong?

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I always use latest version of iTunes and then back up previous iPhone and then set up new one and usually goes pretty fast .

veryeasilyconfused

Aug 20, 2020
Visit site
Thank you so much everyone. It never updated, so I restarted it without trying to transfer information from the old phone and it was fine. So I've gone back to the old phone for now until I can work it out properly.

I think you're absolutely right, it's because the old phone wasn't backed up. Grrr it's a bit complicated because it was set up years ago that the whole family share an iTunes account for some reason so the ex husband still has the control of it. Therefore can't easily increase the iCloud storage myself and back it up. Really need to do something about that !!

I've always used the iTunes account on the computer to back up when I've changed phone before but not sure if I can still do that ?