Trying to open a file in Safari on iPad mini

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, Apple folks, I have a question. Very new to iAnything and this is an iPad mini.

I have my own html file which is really just a table of links that I visit frequently. I managed to email it to myself and opened the email and saved the html table (Links.html) to the ipad. When I navigate to that file using the Apple File App, I can open it. If I select a link, it offers to open it in Safari. But I can't GO BACK to that table using the Back Arrow. I have to enter Files again, again select the table file and hit another link.

Is there a way in Apple-land or Safari or whatever to open the HTML table using something like the File:/// syntax that I've used on the Blackberry or even my desktop browser. Also, that html table itself has a few links to Files. For instance I have a link to my Passport ID (i.e. file:///filepath/docs/pics/Passport.jpg) and another if my WA drivers' license picture and one of my hip implant (g).

Those links use the File:/// syntax and open the file and display the picture. i.e. File:///storage/pictures/hip.jpg. That table also has a link to another html file Europe.html that has a series of relevant links for when in Europe (hopeful of traveling again!!!)

Hope this makes some sense. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

(and I apologize - I thought I posted this as one of those generic help questions but don't see it).

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I did not see off hand a way to use the Files app to navigate to a local file path, but could have missed it. I did try entering file:///filepath, as an example, in the Files app and Safari search bar, but no local files appeared. It may be that I just don't have any files at that location, which interestingly, I don't know at the moment what that that may be in iOS; e.g. ~home/username/Documents/.

This may help as a data point.
I created a Pages blank document and in the document typed in https://www.imore.com
In the iPad Files app, the file is saved in the Pages folder in the iPad Files app
In the iPad Files app, I opened the document from the folder above
Clicked on the URL and then chose "Open Link" which then opened the URL in Safari
In the top left hand screen corner, I can click on the Pages back arrow, when then takes me back to the Pages document

Last edited:

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did not see off hand a way to use the Files app to navigate to a local file path, but could have missed it. I did try entering file:///filepath, as an example, in the Files app and Safari search bar, but no local files appeared. It may be that I just don't have any files at that location, which interestingly, I don't know at the moment what that that may be in iOS; e.g. ~home/username/Documents/.

This may help as a data point.
I created a Pages blank document and in the document typed in https://www.imore.com
In the iPad Files app, the file is saved in the Pages folder in the iPad Files app
In the iPad Files app, I opened the document from the folder above
Clicked on the URL and then chose "Open Link" which then opened the URL in Safari
In the top left hand screen corner, I can click on the Pages back arrow, when then takes me back to the Pages document

Thanks for the reply. I will have to play a bit more. I looked for a BACK ARROW but might have missed it. The ipad mini is not the only system that does not allow a "file:///filepath" method. It has been hit or miss in some android or Chrome Browser attempts, also. Also, trying to find the correct "path" or terminology to internal or sd card memories and/or folders is also problematic.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro