Trouble restoring iPhone 5, "verifying iphone restore with apple"

iPetem

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hiya

Sorry to bug you but I've a problem here that I can't find the answer to, despite trawling Google. I'm on a jailbroken iPhone 5, iOS 6. I jailbroke the other other week but decided I'd restore, but I'm unable to do so. When I try through iTunes I get "verifying iphone restore with apple", when I Ctrl Restore and choose the restore file which I'd downloaded elsewhere, I get the same error. I've tried various things (switching off firewalls, erasing then restoring) to no avail.

Can you help, please?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try restoring as new and if that is successful then restore the backup you were initially attempting to restore.

belfastbear51

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem when trying to restore my iPhone 5. And my dads iPad 4. The problem lies with iTunes 11. I would advise uninstalling iTunes 11 and getting iTunes 10 instead. I got that and it worked first time. Dunno why though, but it sorted it for me.

iPetem

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply but I'm sure I won't be able to install iTunes 10, it'll just say there's a newer version and ask me to install 11.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you used Tinyumbrella at all? It adds to your hosts file and blocks the Apple server when you save your SHSH blob. If so, you need to open up Tinyumbrella again and disable that so you can restore.

iPetem

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I've used TinyUmbrella but I downloaded a lot of stuff when I'd just JBd the device, so I'd possibly have downloaded it in a mad frenzy.

iPetem

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
My dismissal is borne from experience though, unfortunately. I did try to install iTunes 10 but got an error stating a file (I think) had been created using iTunes 11 had been found and 10 couldn't be installed. I've tried to install 10 before, just because 11 is so terrible, to no avail, so while I thank him for his help, it hasn't worked in this case.

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Also keep in mind if you are trying to restore iOS 6.0.x without the SHSH blob then it will not work.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys.

Thanks as in it worked? Or thanks as in thanks for trying fellas?

Have you tried the dfu method?
Plug phone into computer, open iTunes, power phone down, then hold power for three seconds, and WHILE STILL HOLDING POWER, press and hold home button for then seconds, then releas power butt, BIT CONTINUE TO HOLD HOME button for another 15 seconds? then try restore as new.

Also check the hosts anyways, google will tell you what it should look like.

Try a different USB chord and a different USB port.

Try a different computer

JCRocky5

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
iPad 2 + can't restore to anything bar the current firmware released, so that's 6.1.3.

(If you want to be nitpicky, the iPad 2 can be restored to 5.1.1 if you have 4.2 shsh & 5.1.1 shsh files)

Only devices that can be downgraded are iPhone 4 & below, but you must have shsh files for that device + firmware version.

If you fail at the apple verification stage, it's 1 of 2 things, your host file or Apple have stopped signing that firmware version.