Treating a wet iPhone?

razharush

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys!

I went to the swimming pool this week and accidently dropped my iPhone 5 there... I quickly researched the web and found an intersting article with instructions and acted by them.
My iPhone is still laying in the rice and I just wanted to see if there's anything else for me to do and when should I try turning it on.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It's too bad you never looked on here first because I think Ali did a post about what to do when your iPhone encounters water. She didn't recommend the rice because it gets lodged in the small ports, causes all sorts of corrosion issues, etc. Anyway you have already done it so there is no turning back now GL and next time get a Lifeproof case ;-) cause man I've feeling it for you right now.

broadwayblues

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Just my two cents, there isn't much that can be done. Even if the phone survives the water damage the chemicals in the pool may eat away at the phone and make it act wonky months from now.

I really like Aqua Dry Bags, and I've used it in the past to save an iPhone 4. I did a review: http://www.androiddoes.net/android-general/review-aqua-dry-bag/

Hope the rice works for you, you did the right thing. Might consider getting one of the bags though, it recently saved my S3.

Can't say enough good things about them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that your phone is water damaged. Next time you may wanna take out the battery. I know with iPhones its pretty hard to do, but purchasing the tools for your iPhone can sometimes be useful, and save you from purchasing another iPhone.

1. Take battery out as quickly as possible.
2. Place in Rice
3. Clean with Alcohol Pen (Cleaning pen)

That'd be helpful if the iPhone battery could be taken out without disassembling the entire phone.

samthelegoman1

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I used the rice method on my iPhone 4s when it fell in the toilet and it turned out fine except for the fact that the speakers and headphone jack stopped working. The water indicators were also tripped so I was totally bummed out. However, I recalled that bleach is a basic substance and will reverse litmus paper results, so I took a little paintbrush, dipped it In bleach and rubbed the two water damage indicators in the headphone jack and the dock connector. Took it back to the Apple store the next day and the replaced it for free none the wiser :D

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
When I bought my 5 I pondered whether or not the extra $99 was worth AppleCare+. Best. Decision. Ever. I have had some success with the rice method in the past.

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I had a blackberry storm 2 got it drenched in coffee one day. Got home after work and put it in a bowl of rice for 2 days. Bam after the two days she was back working again.

Nancy Lou

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I had a lifeproof case and mine got damaged. the apple shows up when charging and it vibrates every few minutes but nothing else.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro