Transfer discontinued app to a friend's iphone?

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a free app on my iphone that is no longer available in the itunes store. My friend loves it and would like to get a copy on his iphone. We both have the iphone 4.

Is there some way to do this? Would it work to just copy the .ipa file from my PC to his?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a free app on my iphone that is no longer available in the itunes store. My friend loves it and would like to get a copy on his iphone. We both have the iphone 4.

Is there some way to do this? Would it work to just copy the .ipa file from my PC to his?

The only way is to give them access to your iTunes store account.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Really?

Could I do that, install the app, then revoke access?

It should work. He would need your password to do any updates to that app, but since it's no longer available in the iTunes store, it's a good bet that there won't be any updates to worry about.

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not quite seeing how that could work... He would plug his phone into my computer--if I try to use my login, wouldn't it fail because it doesn't match his phone? Or if it worked, wouldn't itunes try to sync with my itunes stuff?

Also, somewhere else I read that downloaded apps (whether free or purchased) are tied to a specific Apple ID and can't be transferred to another one. And besides that, copying .ipa files is not legal...

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
just make sure he signs back in to his account. Then it's up to you about yours. I would have him sign out. Then you take his phone and sign in, download the app. Then you sign yourself out of his iTunes. That way he never sees your password.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Use home share/family share...let him download the app from your iTunes library, then change your password so he no longer has access. Pretty simple really...you can do it for up to 5 people at a time.

marbleize

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Use home share/family share...let him download the app from your iTunes library, then change your password so he no longer has access. Pretty simple really...you can do it for up to 5 people at a time.
I haven't ever used home/family share, don't have any idea how that works. How do you get a new device to be recognized/accepted by itunes? How do you keep it from trying to backup the phone or sync it with itunes?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4