Touch ID, Am I missing something?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you did increase the security but you didn't need Touch ID to do that. That's my point. Touch ID simply made it more convenient.

True. Human nature being what it is, people will follow flowing water to the path of least resistance. The fact that TouchID DOES make it easier for the phone owner (the one with the "biometric password" attached to their finger) to get into their phone with a more secure password in place. THAT is a good thing. In fact, activating TouchID actually requires the user to setup, at a minimum, a 4-digit passcode, making their previously unsecured iPhone more secure.

I sometimes will text or respond to a text while sitting at a stop light. (I don’t EVER text while the car is moving.) Having an 8-12 digit password takes too long to enter and still leave time for a quick text/response in the allotted time. But having the TouchID option, I can set a long, more secure password, and STILL do the needful quickly and conveniently.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I had no idea it was like this. How silly.

I suppose the only reason its more secure is that people wont see you enter your passcode that often...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I had no idea it was like this. How silly.

I suppose the only reason its more secure is that people wont see you enter your passcode that often...

Not true. While they won’t see you enter a passcode that you don’t enter... as Karen and I have both said, using TouchID requires that you add a passcode. Many (most?) people don’t use any kind of security on their phones, despite the fact that they contain an awful lot of personal information that, in the wrong hands, can cause you a lot of grief.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a 9 digit passcode on my 5s.

99% of the time, my fingers are enough. (How many times have I heard that before) :cant-watch:

iririr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If you burn or cut your finger, you won't be able to login.....what do you want to do then? i am sure you'll appreciate the alternative form of entry then.

iririr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If you burn or cut your finger and have to put a bandaid on it...do you expect to take the bandaid off everytime you want to login to your phone?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you burn or cut your finger, you won't be able to login.....what do you want to do then? i am sure you'll appreciate the alternative form of entry then.

Type the passcode. Then train it to use a different finger.

Problem solved...

Last edited:

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
what i think about the touch id is that apple is introducing it to the world and right now it is still new so i dont think it can be too secure right now but it is a great way to start.. i am interested to see how this touch id is gonna mature along the years

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got my 5S and as I was setting up the Touch ID I seem to have discovered something that I hadn't read about.

You see, I understand and agree that using our fingerprints is a more secure way of identifying us to our phones; more secure than a simple passcode. So given that and the understanding that Touch ID was being marketed as making access to our phones more secure, I was surprised to see that you can fail at having the phone recognize your fingerprint and it will default to your passcode. Three unsuccessful attempts and you're presented with the passcode screen

In fact you can simply hit the home button once and slide to reveal the passcode screen.

Am I missing a setting some where? Seems to me that if you want access to be more secure than a passcode the phone should have the ability to allow access *only* via fingerprint.

As it is, if my phone is lost/stolen or even borrowed without me knowing, it's just like having a non-Touch ID phone. No more secure.

So my question is, am I missing something or is Touch ID just a convenience and not meant to make access more secure (at least not yet)?

During the keynote, they said that they found out that over 50% of owners don't have a pin simply since its inconvenient. So they made touch id. People now have to put a password use touch id. The password is the main thing and the touch id is a convenience.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I really don't like the idea of my fingerprint being saved on my phone. I don't know, that's just me. I also don't think it would be as secure as a pin.

What tha it's just as secure in my own opinion it double down passcode and secure id vs just passcode single access point

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
bitshifter1001, true or not is irrelevant. Apple presented this technology (intentionally or not) as making your iPhone more secure. My contention is that it doesn't. These stories, true or not, exist for the most part because of that claim of enhanced security. Basically, Apple said it's more secure and folks out there said, "Oh yeah? Well, we'll see about that!" and proceeded to try to show that its not.

Apple never advertised it as more secure. Ever.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods