Took the Leap and bought IP5 this Morning the first experience WELL.........

dbpowell

May 18, 2013
Visit site
First off let me say that I was a long time BB users(8+ yrs) and had to make a decision since my Tour was starting to give me fits. I say all that because I noticed a lot of topics about just that BB vs IP coming from BB users so....Here is my first half day experience with the IP5.

--Got the 16g in black with a Black Otter Commuitor Case,(dont do video streaming or watch movies from phone,music on seperate MP3 player for motorcycle) sales rep at my regional carrier was very helpful in getting the basis set up and running(email,contacts etc) and then proceeded to show me some other things and advised me to charge my IP5 for a minium of 7 to 8 hours. He ran the updates but the wouldn't install without the battery being fully charged. Walked out the sstore and headed for home optimestic about the outcome of learning a completely new phone.
After phone charged for several hours started playing around with it and decided to set up AppleID(aggravaiting experience) when I got the email to verify the account and keyed in my info it kept showing ID or Password is not valid. So, I tried again and same result(frustrated) Then I noticed something funny started to happen as the phone started flipping from 3g to 4g and then said searching on the top left. In doing some reading on the boards about this same issue I went into the setting and turned off LTE service. After a moment we have signal, then 2 minutes later no signal just "searching" starring me in the phase. Determined, I picked up the phone and called the carrier. They walked me through a couple of steps to include resetting the network setting which reboots the phone. Signal then 30 seconds later no signal, they asked me to bring it back to the store.

Running though my head at this time is the fact that I have had this phone for around 6 hours and its broke. So I took it back to the store for them to look at and sure enough top left corner shows"searching". The associate went to the back and brought out another brand new one in the box,installed a new sim card and reactivated. then he goes through and sets up everything again including fixing my AppleID(my fault by the way,not used to keyboard on the phone). So away home I go again. Bottom line it was just a bad phone out of the box.

So playing with the IP5 after being used to the BB for so long is really not all that bad to get used to . Yes some thing are different and I miss already some of the things that BB would do seamlessly(group email and text with group contacts). But OS is smooth and so far enjoying the experience. I know that it will take time and tinkering to figure out how to make it work best for me. Which in the end thats what it is all about anyway,Right. Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Outstanding, and thank you for being patient while you transition from being a longtime Blackberry user to an iPhone user. I, too, was a longtime Blackberry user and felt uncomfortable giving up my BB for the iPhone 3G at the time and I did miss the BB shortcuts and stuff like that, but in my case (looking back), I realized that I wasn't quite ready to leave Blackberry and so when my 3G fell in the ocean off the coast of South Carolina while visiting one of my brothers, I didn't even get upset. I simply drove to an AT&T store and bought a Blackberry Bold (9000). :) Now, however, you'd have to pry me away from the iPhone while I fight back tooth and nail...(laughing)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I simply drove to an AT&T store and bought a Blackberry Bold (9000). :) Now, however, you'd have to pry me away from the iPhone while I fight back tooth and nail...(laughing)

I can so relate to you here, D. As the BB Bold 9000 is what I sold in order to get my first iPhone, which happen to be the 3GS. That was a nice one, that still works well for my son today after all these years.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can so relate to you here, D. As the BB Bold 9000 is what I sold in order to get my first iPhone, which happen to be the 3GS. That was a nice one, that still works well for my son today after all these years.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

Outstanding...:D

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on your new iPhone dbpowell!
I was a long time BB user too. It didn't take long to feel comfortable with iOS. Enjoy your new device.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The truth is every phone has ups and
Downs.. The original iPhone showed us a big leap forward with new ways to do things and now the new bbs are changing
Some formulas to give better results.. I typically don't really want to get into wars about which phone is better but I think there is love to be found in all current os's. right now I'm invested in iPhone apps and love the iPhone so I'm not changing soon but I try to keep a open minded focus!

Enjoy your new phone any questions simply ask

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

dbpowell

May 18, 2013
Visit site
First thanks to all that have responded.
Second day with the new phone and still trying to get the hang of it. Biggest change for me is the keyboard(or lack of one). Now just trying to figure out the most efficient way to do things , group email and text still haven't figured out. But so far so good

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna be that guy. Why didn't you wait until Monday to see if a new iphone gets announced? Personally I would never buy an iPhone 4 days before WWDC. True you could take it back if there is a new one announced. Seems like a hassle though.

Congrats on getting one and making the switch to iOS though. It has its pros and cons compared to each os.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, and enjoy your new iPhone 5, it's a fantastic phone. I also came over from many years and phones from BB, and haven't missed it a bit.

dbpowell

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna be that guy. Why didn't you wait until Monday to see if a new iphone gets announced? Personally I would never buy an iPhone 4 days before WWDC. True you could take it back if there is a new one announced. Seems like a hassle though.

Congrats on getting one and making the switch to iOS though. It has its pros and cons compared to each os.

Couldn't wait BB Tour died and I had to make a decision

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't wait BB Tour died and I had to make a decision

Here's my question, why didn't you pick up a Z10 or Q10? It would seem natural for a long time BB user to pick up a new BB. I started on BB, I've had an 8520, 9700 and a 9930. I've also used more than a few Androids. But I've only had two iPhones and have spent most of the time on iOS than any other mobile OS now. I had no problem switching to iOS because the on screen keyboard is unparalleled, works amazing. I'm just glad to hear you didn't give up after receiving a bad phone out of the gate.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

dbpowell

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's my question, why didn't you pick up a Z10 or Q10? It would seem natural for a long time BB user to pick up a new BB. I started on BB, I've had an 8520, 9700 and a 9930. I've also used more than a few Androids. But I've only had two iPhones and have spent most of the time on iOS than any other mobile OS now. I had no problem switching to iOS because the on screen keyboard is unparalleled, works amazing. I'm just glad to hear you didn't give up after receiving a bad phone out of the gate.

The was simple. The regional carrier that I use doesn't carry the Z10. I did use one at a national carrier store and don't get me wrong I liked it. But when my Tour died I had to make a decision and at the time the choice was IP5 or SG3. Don't care for the size of the galaxy and the IP5 seems to fit my needs. And being on the third day with it I am adapting well. Just need help with this group email and text to find a more efficient way to achieve it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The was simple. The regional carrier that I use doesn't carry the Z10. I did use one at a national carrier store and don't get me wrong I liked it. But when my Tour died I had to make a decision and at the time the choice was IP5 or SG3. Don't care for the size of the galaxy and the IP5 seems to fit my needs. And being on the third day with it I am adapting well. Just need help with this group email and text to find a more efficient way to achieve it.

That makes sense, glad to hear your transition is going smoothly. As far as groups go, I don't use them much and the only way I know how to do it is to add each name individually. But if someone sends you a group message, your phone will reply to everyone in that group so if you only want to reply to the initial sender you will have create a new text specifically to that person.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

WWDC is software focused - so we'll be seeing the future of iOS 7 and Mac OS. Apple will have it's own iPhone event to announce the new device.

Welcome to iMore dbpowell. You have a great community to help you get accustomed to your new device!