Tom Tom's car kit for the iPhone

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I've wanted it since it was first advertised, but I had to wait until I had some $ for it. It's now $99.99 in the online Apple store, I remember it being $129.99 before.

Anyway, I was just wondering who has the kit (whether or not you have Tom Tom's nav app)? And do you like it better than having your iPhone loose in your car?

I know a bunch of you don't have it because of the fact that your protective/decorative case gets in the way, or because it seems silly to pay that much for a car mount. Have you reconsidered recently or will you never buy such a kit?

I'll let you all know what I think of the thing once I have it all figured out where I'm going to put it in my car (I have a funny shaped dashboard) and get to use it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I've wanted it since it was first advertised, but I had to wait until I had some $ for it. It's now $99.99 in the online Apple store, I remember it being $129.99 before.

Anyway, I was just wondering who has the kit (whether or not you have Tom Tom's nav app)? And do you like it better than having your iPhone loose in your car?

I know a bunch of you don't have it because of the fact that your protective/decorative case gets in the way, or because it seems silly to pay that much for a car mount. Have you reconsidered recently or will you never buy such a kit?

I'll let you all know what I think of the thing once I have it all figured out where I'm going to put it in my car (I have a funny shaped dashboard) and get to use it.

Sean, I bought early, paid a lot, have used it a lot, and I am very happy with it.

Perhaps the biggest convenience factor in any GPS/Nav is how one tells it where one wants to go. TomTom for iPhone has great memory and presentation of choices. One hopes to have the destination in favorites, recent destinations, points-of-interest, contacts, by entry of an address. TomTom implements all of these in easy to use ways. Even when entering an address, by picking a point on a map, and finally by entering coordinates. TomTom uses what it remembers to default in convenient ways. One rarely needs to enter more than a few characters of a city or street name to then be able to pick from a short list.

[When entering an address, it helps to have used Reverse Polish Notation. TomTom wants to eliminate the most destinations with the least information. Therefore, it wants the address in the most sensible, rather than most conventional way. So, one enters Zip Code, if known, confirms by selecting city and state from the list, a few characters from street name and pick from the list, and either the street number or the cross street. Alternately one can select the state and then pick the city from the list. In my case, 4 numbers from the Zip Code puts my town at the top of the list, the first letter of my street name, and the first letter of my cross street, and I am done. Try that on Never Lost.]

Keep in mind that you get a lot more for a lot less than I did. Current TomTom for iPhone comes with Text-to-speech and lane guidance for half of what I paid. As you noted, TomTom has reduced the price on the car kit. However, Amazon and eBay may have it for even less.

As to car kit fit, do not worry about it. The suction cup is large and works well (OK. I do lick it.) The kit has a universal joint between iPhone and the mounting suction cup so that one can look at it head-on, no matter where it is mounted. In my car, I place the car kit on the windshield below the rear view mirror. However, I have used it in lots of rental cars where I may find more convenient places. On a recent rental, I put my TomTom on the screen of the in-car system. It was easier to use TomTom than learn the more complicated in-car system.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the response, whmurray! Too funny that you put the suction cup for the kit right on top of the GPS in your rental! :D Hey, what do you think about sound quality for your mp3's in the car stereo? & is it still a mess of cables or does it look tidier than when the iPhone was loose on the passenger seat?

Thanks for the review of the Tom Tom software too, I wasn't expecting that but it's handy info! I haven't had the occasion to use the software too often because I don't travel too much, but I plan to use it more in the future! I got it when the price dropped to $49, couldn't resist that. I haven't tried any of the others (because I am not rich and can't afford multiple turn-by-turn GPS software programs) but I'm happy with Tom Tom so far!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the response, whmurray! Too funny that you put the suction cup for the kit right on top of the GPS in your rental! :D Hey, what do you think about sound quality for your mp3's in the car stereo? & is it still a mess of cables or does it look tidier than when the iPhone was loose on the passenger seat?

Thanks for the review of the Tom Tom software too, I wasn't expecting that but it's handy info! I haven't had the occasion to use the software too often because I don't travel too much, but I plan to use it more in the future! I got it when the price dropped to $49, couldn't resist that. I haven't tried any of the others (because I am not rich and can't afford multiple turn-by-turn GPS software programs) but I'm happy with Tom Tom so far!
Sound quality is fine. However, since my car system does not have line-in, I have to use an fm transmitter. Wires. I also use XM. More wires. There is a lot to be said for original equipment. On the other hand, after-market gives one a little more flexibility. Wires.

I did try AT&T Navigator until TomTom got text-to-speech and lane guidance. However, I have 32G and prefer on-board maps. Much prefer destination setup on TomTom over Navigator. Much prefer destination setup on a portable device over in-car; I like to be able to use the device to plan ahead.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
D'oh! Be careful when ordering the kit, the one for $99.00 (listed under iPhone accessories) is for the iPod Touch only! The one for the iPhone, which I found after a little bit of digging, is $119.00. So, I have to return the one I got and receive the correct one before I can give my impressions of the kit. My impressions of the website are that it is very misleading! The kit for the Touch should be under iPod accessories and not iPhone accessories!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
D'oh! Be careful when ordering the kit, the one for $99.00 (listed under iPhone accessories) is for the iPod Touch only! The one for the iPhone, which I found after a little bit of digging, is $119.00. So, I have to return the one I got and receive the correct one before I can give my impressions of the kit. My impressions of the website are that it is very misleading! The kit for the Touch should be under iPod accessories and not iPhone accessories!
My mistake. The low price that I cited may have been for the Touch. The list price for the iPhone is $119-, the one for the Touch is $99-, no hands free function. Before you pay list price, check Amazon and eBay. (Right this minute Amazon has one for $161- suggesting that there is a short supply.)

Last edited:

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Love it love it love it!

Okay folks, I haven't tried any other car kits so take this for what it is (basically an uninformed review) but I looooove the Tom Tom car kit. Apple's misleading website aside (see above post, I took it as a lesson to pay a little bit more attention), I had no problems ordering and receiving the kit. It was a snap to install, it has a little sticky foam pad with a smooth surface on the other side so it can be mounted to the dash if you choose not to use the windshield. The suction cup sticks securely, and the iPhone, like whmurray said, can be positioned just about any way you want it with the ball and socket hinge.

I haven't tried all of its features yet, but I gave it enough of a trial run to see that it is a much more organized solution than having two cables on the passenger seat or dash board (they now fit tidily behind the kit in one of the cubby holes beneath the dash). Also, the iPhone slides easily in and out of the kit, and it turns horizontally or vertically with ease. The position I chose was right beneath the dash and right above the gear shift. Sounds a little obtrusive maybe but it actually fits quite nicely there, and it is comforting to know that my phone won't be flying all over the place or getting covered by whatever (or whoever) is in my passenger seat--it's just right there, front and center.

Like I said earlier, I did get the $49.99 USA-only version of Tom Tom's navigation software, and it is nice to be able to look at the screen without having to crane my neck over to the side (or be forced to not even look during hairy traffic). It's also nice for music control; it's almost like it was built right into the car from the get!

Okay, maybe I'm gushing a little bit, but I'm just so excited to have a car kit that not only charges my phone and allows me to play music using my adaptor wire while giving me a chance to hide all the wires, but also enhances my GPS and could, if I wanted it to, connect via bluetooth to my iPhone for a handsfree phone conversation (I'm a little bit too attached to my Jawbone to actually use that feature, but it's nice to have)!

I use my iPhone in my car every day, and now I have one less (tiny though it was) inconvenience in my life. Well worth the $$, and the wait, IMHO!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
This thread is a few months old, but I noticed that the TomTom Car Kit is listed for the 3G/3GS has anyone hear of version for the 4G?

Ticman

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
possible problems with car kit microphone

I certainly don't mean to hijack the thread and apologize if I am doing so, but I posted the question below in a different Tipb forum and didn't receive a response.

Hope I might get one here.

Here is my original post:

I use my iPhone with a tomtom car kit and navigon gps.

All of a sudden I am unable to hear phone calls when phone is in the cradle. Phone volume is fine when holding phone outside of the cradle.

Gps volume directions are loud and clear and I can increase volume with car kit charger without a problem.
iPod plays fine too.

Only thing that isn't working is hearing the phone ring when placing a call when phone is in the charge cradle. I cannot hear when someone picks up. If I get a call and press accept I can barely hear. If I hit speaker I can hear somewhat but still not like I use to

I thought it might be the speaker on Tom Tom charger kit but am now thinking it might be phone related. Maybe I hit something or setting that is causing the problem.

Help would be most appreciated or suggestions as where to go for answers.

Thanks all
Mike

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I certainly don't mean to hijack the thread and apologize if I am doing so, but I posted the question below in a different Tipb forum and didn't receive a response.

Hope I might get one here.

Here is my original post:

I use my iPhone with a tomtom car kit and navigon gps.

All of a sudden I am unable to hear phone calls when phone is in the cradle. Phone volume is fine when holding phone outside of the cradle.

Gps volume directions are loud and clear and I can increase volume with car kit charger without a problem.
iPod plays fine too.

Only thing that isn't working is hearing the phone ring when placing a call when phone is in the charge cradle. I cannot hear when someone picks up. If I get a call and press accept I can barely hear. If I hit speaker I can hear somewhat but still not like I use to

I thought it might be the speaker on Tom Tom charger kit but am now thinking it might be phone related. Maybe I hit something or setting that is causing the problem.

Help would be most appreciated or suggestions as where to go for answers.

Thanks all
Mike
Sounds as though your BT is not properly paired. Go to Settings>BT>TomTom Carkit>5555. Another possibility is power. CarKit will not pair if it does not have external power.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I see no reason that the 4 will not work in the car kit but I will let you know on Tuesday.
Interim Report. I got to try an iPhone 4 in the car kit yesterday and it fit fine. However, the 4 did not have the TomTom software on it, so I still cannot guarantee that there is no incompatibility. Will report again after a test.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I just turned on Bluetooth and all is fine. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Duh.

Thanks for your help.
LOL. Glad you did not have to learn it the way I did.

Incidentally, i learned about the power last night. The baby was really pissed when the sound on the movie quit.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I just turned on Bluetooth and all is fine. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Duh.

Thanks for your help.
Part of what is confusing is that if BT is off, TomTom still works through the iPhone speakers. However, nothing else, e.g., phone, podcasts, music, movies, works.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I've been using the iphone 4 with car kit just fine.

You have to put a piece of foam or velcro at the bottom of the mount. Iphone 4 can't have a case. Not even the incipio feather one.

Navigon works ok but must switch to 2d or 3d if you have the optional panoramic 3d installed. Still waiting on an update to multitask though.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

You have to put a piece of foam or velcro at the bottom of the mount. Iphone 4 can't have a case. Not even the incipio feather one.

Navigon works ok but must switch to 2d or 3d if you have the optional panoramic 3d installed. Still waiting on an update to multitask though.
TomTom software now supports multi-tasking. One can now talk on the phone while still getting turn by turn directions. TomTom is now the leader, no longer the follower, for iPhone navigation software.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
TomTom software now supports multi-tasking. One can now talk on the phone while still getting turn by turn directions. TomTom is now the leader, no longer the follower, for iPhone navigation software.

I'll wait for the update but thinking of dumping navigon if they don't soon.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

I did not understand the comment about foam or Velcro. In fact, there is a normally open switch at the base of the car kit that is intended to turn the car kit off when the iPhone is removed. The iPhone 4 is so thin that it will not close this switch when it is put in. Thus the iPhone is not charged, the BT and GPS in the car kit are not turned on, and the iPhone does not have access to the auxiliary speaker in the car kit. Other than that, TomTom on the iPhone car kit works just fine.

One needs to put something on the surface of this switch to decrease the distance between the surface and the back of the iPhone. It appears to be about 1/16 of an inch.

I found that I had foam mounting tape and Velcro. Velcro is my favorite material; some people like duct tape but not me. I only use other things for applications for which Velcro will not work. In this case Velcro worked just fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR