TOASTMADE Wood Skins: Add Some Class to Your Phone

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Our devices are arguably becoming some of the most personal things we own. For many of us, our entire lives run on our phones. We use them to keep our social media updated and at the top of it’s game, we use them to Netflix and chill when we want to relax, and most importantly, we use them to connect to the ones we love. As such it's perfectly reasonable to want to make your device as personal and unique as you. Thankfully there are a myriad of ways to customize your phone with uniqueness and style. Skins are one of my favorite ways to do that and TOAST is one of my favorite skin makers. They recently sent me a custom wood skin for my iPhone X and it has definitely upped my game.

Form

I chose the Ebony color wood for my back and front panel and the Ash color wood for my button and camera covers. TOAST also offers a wide range of designs you can add to the back of the skin, or you can even upload your own for them to use. For this one, I chose the Star Wars logo and it looks incredible.

Master Bokeh copy.jpg

The first thing you notice about theses skins as you are installing them is how precise they are. TOAST uses lasers to ensure accuracy with their products so every cut is precise and accurate to ensure a perfect fit on your device. The camera and button cutouts also fit perfectly into their slots without any wiggle room or movement whatsoever. These guys do an incredible job! On the bottom there is plenty of room around the charging port to fit most charging cables. The cutout around the mute switch looks very nice and also leaves plenty of room to toggle it.

Corner Cuts 2 copy.jpg
Volume Buttons & Mute Switch.jpg
Power Button and Sim Tray 2 copy.jpg

Around front, the front panel covers the iPhone X bezels beautifully and also fits snugly around each of the components housed in the notch. The speaker grille has plenty of room and did not affect the clarity of my calls at all.

In Hand Front.jpg

Function

If you have ever read any of my other case reviews then you know that I’m a minimalist when it comes to covering my devices. Basically I don’t really like the look and feel of big cases on my phone and almost always end up pulling them off after a couple of weeks. That also means that I tend to prefer skins on my phone if I end up putting anything on them at all. Skins offer a great way to customize and protect your device at the same time.

The iPhone X is a beautiful device and this wood cover from TOAST accentuates and adds to that look. I honestly wasn’t quite sure how I was going to feel about the skin when I first got it on but now, I truly enjoy it. My phone has a whole new look and I don’t ever have to worry about scratches or dings because this is a genuine wood skin.

Master Straight On copy.jpg

Keep in mind that this won’t protect your phone too well from drops but that’s ok because it’s not designed to do that. I can say that my phone has fallen once or twice while in this skin and has come out just fine, but I would recommend you test that out very often.

There’s Always Something

Unfortunately, I have yet to find the perfect product. If you ever find one, let me know so I can throw money at it. As much as I love this skin, there is one pretty annoying thing I have discovered about it.

As to be expected, TOAST uses adhesive to keep the skin secured firmly to your device. It actually does rub off fairly easily though if you decide to remove the skin so no worries there. It won’t leave any crazy residue. The one thing it will do like nobody’s business, is collect lint, especially when you first put it on. Once you get the skin on, the adhesive at all the edges will start to collect dust and lint and things in your pockets and in the air that you probably didn’t even know existed. The worst part is in the cutouts around the sensors in the notch. I haven’t found a good way to clean them out yet and there is a lot of stuff in there. It has not affected FaceID or any of the sensors, but I have noticed a very slight blur in my selfies. I don’t really take selfies though so I don’t really care but you might.

In Hand Front Top.jpg

I will also say that I have not noticed this on the back cameras, only within the notch cutouts and around the front panel. The amount of lint a dust around the edges of the front panel has dropped significantly over my month of use as the adhesive has dried, but the notch cutouts are still fairly cluttered. I would absolutely not say that this is a deal breaker by any stretch, it’s just something to be aware of. And if you want to find a way to clean them out somehow, then go for it!

Camera Cover copy.jpg

Wood I Buy It?

Definitely! As I said, I was a tad concerned that I was not going to like this skin too much when I first got it, but after using it for the better part of a month, I really like it! The protection that it offers my phone while also allowing me to give it a whole new looks is totally worth the money. I have had several people ask me what case it is on my phone so it makes for a great conversation starter as well.

Master Bokeh copy.jpg

TOAST also makes these great skins for a host of other products and you can head on over to their website to start customizing yours today. The option I have here is around $50 which is a pretty great price for what you’re getting.

As always, I’d love to hear what you think! Just drop a note in the comments. Thanks!