To Stand or Not

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
During the course of the day, my Apple Watch will prompt me to stand. Great, nice that there is a reminder.
However, sometime it does this, even though I?ve been standing for several minutes already. I have an Ergotron, and thus make sure to use it often to stand an work.

But, why doesn?t my Apple Watch already know that I?m standing?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ivan! Long time! I believe with the Stand notifications it's more about the movement. To get it to register you have to 1st stand then move about for 1 minute! I typically take a walk to the other side of my building when I get that notification. Well over 250 steps or so.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
In certain situations we can't really stand when prompted to, such as in the middle of a movie. In this case I'll just leave it.

But yesterday in the office after leaving my seat to go to the photocopier which is over 20 steps away each leg, it still prompted me to stand after returning to my seat.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies thus far. Sounds to me like the real trick is when I'm prompted by my watch, I should at least (even if already standing), walk to the other side of the building (or go to the toilet) and then return to my desk.

At least I'd have moment...

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had it prompt me when driving to work... in the car for over an hour and "time to stand"!

Well then, you must look like a giraffe sticking your head out of the roof of your car to do your requested standing and in reality others that have the  watch will completely understand your situation

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
You could do that too!

I've tried that but the Watch doesn't buy it.

But, why doesn’t my Apple Watch already know that I’m standing?

It probably doesn't track whether you're standing or sitting, just the transition. The notification/alert does say something about moving. Or it may know that your standing, but you haven't moved appreciably.

As the sensors get better, the software can probably take advantage and make better "observations" and decisions. I think weightlifters have complained the Watch doesn't count certain reps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro