• Nah, I am used to other methods

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Maybe, depends on the extra charges,etc

Votes: 16 13.1%

• Total voters

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Now I cannot keep it working for more than a few minutes, I haven't even tried to get it working after the first couple of days with my 3GS.

You are using an carrier profile hack? This just started working all on it's own for me. My SMS died and rebooted and that fixed the SMS issue and then I decided to give MMS a try figuring at&t might have sent some update over the air to my phone that I needed a reboot for. Then it worked for like 15 mins or so and that was it.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You are using an carrier profile hack? This just started working all on it's own for me. My SMS died and rebooted and that fixed the SMS issue and then I decided to give MMS a try figuring at&t might have sent some update over the air to my phone that I needed a reboot for. Then it worked for like 15 mins or so and that was it.

I was with the 3GS at first and like I said, worked for a very short period, then nothing. I have since updated to 3.1 beta 1 and downgraded to 3.0 to jailbreak, so my carrier file is completely stock and being on 3.0 don't even have the mms option or icon.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
His point is that you can send and receive mms via email.

You can send to
number@mms.att.net (or whatever carrier your friend is ons mms portal)

Yea that's what I was talking about:confused:

It seems to work for some people and not for others, my friend who I'd send pics to most has an LG that for some reason will not openthe pics I send him, and he's on AT&T.

If your friend will use your email address (instead of your phone number) when composing their mms, they send an mms and you receive it as an email.

Neither is a great solution, IMO, since you have to know their carrier to send and you have to train your friends to send an email.

Yea, I got a couple people to do that once, you have to understand how dumb my friends are..:eek:

I had mms working in the 3.0 betas and it worked great, I cannot seem to train my friends to use my email address anymore.

Yea, I HATE having to tell everybody I know that I have an iphone and it can't do MMS..:(

kberry66

Aug 4, 2008
Visit site
I can't wait for MMS to work! I have had so many times when I wanted to send a photo to someone and I can't do it unless I send them an email. Wish "late summer" would hurry up and get here!

SpiceRak2

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
MMS is not history. It is a much more reliable way to send/receive multimedia without research and delay. Sure, you can use email to send to an MMS supported phone, but remember that there is no way to avoid sending a bunch of useless email header information, even if the recipient actually gets the message.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Redbeard

I was just informing him of it. No need to get weird about it dude.

And you still don't get it. If YOU send it to them from your email YOU don't have to go to AT&Ts stupid web thingy.
And when THEY want to send you a pic ,they reply to the MMS they got from you which should drop the pic in your email directly without having to go to the AT&T site.

Most people don't know this and they keep talking about smartphones , which is not needed for it. I was just trying to inform people about it , not forcing them not to use MMS.
Besides, I give MMS another year or two before it's completely put behind right next to the record player and VHS tapes. :)

phrint

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, AT&T is retarding the iPhone experience. No tethering, no MMS, no largest 3G network. The 7.2 3G network probably won't launch until the next iPhone comes out making the data speeds between the 3G and 3GS useless. I don't get how a carrier can be so crappy to its customers and Apple since Apple probably saved them from going out of business. Yes, Apple failed on not implementing MMS right away but they are going to do it better than anyone else just like Copy and Paste.

I pray that AT&T loses exclusivity on the iPhone with the next model (2010). I will be the first to break my contract and leave as long as the other carrier(s) don't retard the phone as well. Can you see an iPhone with VCast? Maybe Apple should just go buy a wireless company and do it the right way. Lord knows they have the cash.

GIVE ME MMS AND TETHERING AT&T! YOU SUCK BALLS!

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I know so many people without smartphones. Sending them an "e-mail" would be useless, sending them an MMS resolves all issues.

for the very last time! lol :)

It IS possible for YOU to send a picture from your Iphone USING the EMAIL, and your friend RECEIVING it as an MMS.
Capice? :cool:

No smart phone needed at their end !

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
MMS is not history. It is a much more reliable way to send/receive multimedia without research and delay. Sure, you can use email to send to an MMS supported phone, but remember that there is no way to avoid sending a bunch of useless email header information, even if the recipient actually gets the message.

Sorry to say...on AT&T's network MMS is not so reliable, while I have not had issues with it while beta testing 3.0....I can think of plenty of times when MMS would not be received with my prior phones.

for the very last time! lol :)

It IS possible for YOU to send a picture from your Iphone USING the EMAIL, and your friend RECEIVING it as an MMS.
Capice? :cool:

No smart phone needed at their end !

Dude, they get it, it's just a PITA to do it that way when all that is required is for AT&T to get off their dead ass and flip the switch.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I don't see the big deal, MMS is nice but I'm afraid what it'll do to ATT's already terrible network.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
To those friends who you want to actually send pictures to, why don't you just create an MMS e-mail on your friend's contact info so that when you want to send a picture to their phone, you just select their MMS capable e-mail from your e-mail contacts. It seems a lot less expensive. Heck, that's what I'd do, and then I wouldn't have to waste any money sending a stupid sms/mms either! SMS and MMS are scams to rake in more money. I mean, what 25 cents to send an sms??? That's friggen ridiculous! SMS should be free and MMS should be like 5 cents at most!

I will only be using MMS is it's free, and since it will most likely be part of the current SMS system, which I don't use much anyway, I'll probably not use either.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Redbeard

I was just informing him of it. No need to get weird about it dude.

I'm not, I just want AT&T to stop making us wait for something that they could have flipped the switch on on June 17th!

And you still don't get it. If YOU send it to them from your email YOU don't have to go to AT&Ts stupid web thingy.

I know that. But you've seemingly ignored the reports that many people aren't able to even e-mail people pics that way anymore, nobody on AT&T I know of is getting anything I send them. I'll try it again tonight. And then I don't even know if they've recieved it, with MMS you know they've got it almost instantly.

And when THEY want to send you a pic ,they reply to the MMS they got from you which should drop the pic in your email directly without having to go to the AT&T site.

I know that, but you're counting on people who have about 4 brain cells combined, that's why they are still using dumb phones that can't even e-mail, that they paid more for than the price of an iphone for. People are hard wired to send every pic through MMS, they forget and I get a viewmymessage link:eek:

Most people don't know this and they keep talking about smartphones , which is not needed for it. I was just trying to inform people about it , not forcing them not to use MMS.

That's great, but if it doesn't work half the time what is the use?

Besides, I give MMS another year or two before it's completely put behind right next to the record player and VHS tapes. :)

I don't think that's going to happen for many reasons.

MMS isn't itself a device that can become obsolete, it's a lot easier to do than e-mail (don't need to know the e-mail of the person who you are sending a pic to), and it's much quicker.

If I'm in a SMS convo with a friend, and I tell them I want to show them a pic I took, I have to exit the text app, go to my picture album, select the pics, then e-mail them, wait for the e-mail to send, then wait for my friend to close their text app and go into e-mail and find my message and pic, then go back into the text app to let me know they recieved it.

Seems like a lot of wasted time and a lot of trouble to do something that can be done in one quick and easy step without having to leave the SMS convo, and you have to do this even if both people have iphones. I don't know who decided MMS was some sort of outdated technology that will be replaced by e-mail, in fact, hasn't e-mail been around since 1965? 44 years now? And MMS only since 2002, only 7 years? So it looks to me that MMS is the future, as far as picture sending goes. MMS technology does one thing and it does it well, e-mail is good for e-mail, it works with pics, just not as easily or as fast as MMS:)

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I don't see the big deal, MMS is nice but I'm afraid what it'll do to ATT's already terrible network.

What's the difference between a picture sent through e-mail or a picture sent through MMS? It's all the sanme data, right? Or how about somebody streaming Pandora all day? Or constant Safari browsing? None of those things have brought down their network.

i_nut

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a BB, I will use mms quite a bit once I actually get my iphone. I use email as well but mms is all day for me. I just can't wait to get mine...period!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods