To connect, or not?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
iPhone 4s users, I'm merely curious...

With the updates to iOS and now the option to backup wirelessly or to iCloud, do you still connect your iPhone to your PC\MAC to backup?

From time to time, I actually do both, hence my curiosity as to what YOU do...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I backup my iPhone & iPad via iTunes maybe once a week or so. I like having multiple avenues to backup to, just in case. I do the same for apps such as DataVault. Within that app, I can backup to iCloud, Dropbox, on the device itself (I do all 3) and I also back up that particular data to my MacBook. My photos are backed up locally, on an external drive and in the cloud. We can never be too careful with data, my friend.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I use iCloud, which backs up my phone when I plug in to charge every 2 days and I also connect usb to iTunes once, sometimes twice a week. I'll do an additional usb back up to iTunes if I purchase an app or ringtone so that I can transfer my purchases onto my laptop.

So in short, I utilize both iCloud and iTunes usb style :D

My iPad I don't use iCloud at all, and I usb to iTunes maybe once or twice a month because I don't use it for anything important like I do on my 4S.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I wish i even had the ability to connect my iphone to my laptop and back up but alas every time i do my computer crashes for some odd reason. So i have to rely solely on icloud as well as itunes wifi sync which seems to be getting the job done for now. Ive tried clearing eveyrthing on my phone and then logging into my icloud account and i have yet to encounter a problem.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Very rare although I should more I had a iCloud backup fail during a restore and lost everything

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I still connect my iPhone to my PC for daily backups via iTunes. I haven't started using the cloud yet.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I backup nightly to iCloud when I charge. The only time I bother with iTunes is when I'm adding new music or if I have to load a beta that hasn't yet been put in TestFlight. Of course, I do a full iTunes backup prior to os updates or beta installs.

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I also do a iCloud nightly backup, but do connect once every couple of weeks to the PC for misc movement of playlists, etc.

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I rarely connect to the computer. I did recently and wound up getting some accounts confused. (My fault) My kids both have iPhones but I hold the password. I by mistake was signed into the wrong one and got all of my son's contacts. The only time I do connect is if I'm downloading a CD or DVD.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I backup to iCloud every night, and additionally I backup to iTunes/Mac/USB once a week or so. (The iTunes backup is then backed up to my online backup service.) Just seems prudent to have multiple backups in different places.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
iCloud backup and since I'm working at my laptop most evenings anyhow and have my iPhone plugged in charging, I'll do a backup on that. My iPad is iCloud and back that up to my laptop about once a week since very little changes on that.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
after reading that story about mat from wired i dont use the cloud. i know that was a bit more of a high profile case but i dont feel the security of the cloud has been perfected.

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I back up my phone thru iCloud by Wi-Fi and then I back up to my laptop from iTunes after that back to iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad