to bump or not to bump?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
too expensive

I know Apple is used to charging a premium for things but did they actually look at other cases? I mean employees at Apple must use iPhones and they must have bought cases. I mean not even the arguement about razor users buying it cuts it because even those users know what cases cost.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Waiting to get iPhone 4 in my hands before I decide on a case. The bump thing from Apple looks like a waste, for $30 I could get an otterbox.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm tempted to go naked with 4. The only reason I had cases was to protect the chrome, namely the bezel and the Apple logo from scratches showing up. The glass was really resilient. With iPhone 4, it's all glass and steel, so I don't really see any problems there.

Exactly. That's why I'm totally comfortable with bare-backing this device. Haha..

Stainless steel siding, tough glass akin to gorilla glass on the front and back.. I feel great about skipping the case! :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
My story

OK but what about it slipping out of your hand and falling down a flight of stairs? wouldn't you feel better about the case absorbing some of the impact instead of the internals? I will tell you why I will always use a case, last year I'm walking home, had my 3G in a leather case with a flap. I'm waiting on the corner and the light turns to walk so I walk out into the crosswalk. Well this cyclist decides to fly through the intersection on the yellow and I turn just in time to be broadsided. I played football in highschool and this hit was honestly hard. I hit my head on a street post and dropped to the ground. The real star of the story my iPhone was knocked out of my hand and skated across the asphalt. I thought it was doomed but when I picked it up there was no scratches anywhere and it worked perfectly. So after that incident I will ALWAYS have a case on it.

Last edited:

mrbutler45

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The bumpers only cover the stainless steel edge, and I guess that's because Apple is confident in the new ceramic glass back, which after seeing the iPhone 4 video, might be much harder to crack than the last ones.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
$30 is WAY to expensive. Every tempted to go all natural but I might throw a seidio case one it when they come out if it looks good.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I think the bumper is a cool idea. Because it doesn't hide the look of the iPhone. This also leads me to think apple trust that their new glass will protect againsts drops If it doesn't fall on an entirely flat surface or will scratch easily.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
And oh , as for the cost : 30 dollars is too much for some rubber / plastic. Cases that have more protection cost the same. It should cost only 10 to 15 dollars and even at that price I still think they will be pushing it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
OK but what about it slipping out of your hand and falling down a flight of stairs? wouldn't you feel better about the case absorbing some of the impact instead of the internals? I will tell you why I will always use a case, last year I'm walking home, had my 3G in a leather case with a flap. I'm waiting on the corner and the light turns to walk so I walk out into the crosswalk. Well this cyclist decides to fly through the intersection on the yellow and I turn just in time to be broadsided. I played football in highschool and this hit was honestly hard. I hit my head on a street post and dropped to the ground. The real star of the story my iPhone was knocked out of my hand and skated across the asphalt. I thought it was doomed but when I picked it up there was no scratches anywhere and it worked perfectly. So after that incident I will ALWAYS have a case on it.

I'm comfortable taking a chance that this isn't going to happen to me. My iPhone is always tightly secured in my skin-tight pockets, or I have an absolute death grip on it in my right hand. And the fact that the glass is so much stronger makes me feel even more secure about not using a case. Part of what I love about the phone is the pure sexyness of it. Why cover that up?