Tips for gettin new iPhone on release day...

Mushy2012

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I am, like many, going to ditch my Storm for the new iPhone. I was wondering from those that have picked them up on launch day what I should do to assure that I will be able to get one. Is there usually plenty available or does one have to be outside a ATT store at 4a.m.? Also, if all that is different is more memory and a upgraded camera, is this launch going to be as huge as the 3g? It seems like the leap to 3g was much more provocative than what seems to be happening with this new model. Thank you for any input...

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
You'll want to get there early and stand in line. Depending on where you live and how many apple stores your city has and such all play a part in how early you have to get there. The lines at AT&T will likely be shorter as well, but they will also have a smaller stock amount.

We don't know all that's going to be different with a new iPhone. Regardless, I guarantee that there will be lines.

Last year, I showed up at my local AT&T store at 6a and was about the 20th in line. I got the last white one in stock and they were already turning people away by the time I left. This year, my town has an Apple store now and I plan to get there no later than 4a. We'll see.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You can also for go the the line all together and wait 1-2 days. With the first iPhone I ordered it from AT&T direct fullfillment, it took 1 day to arrive at my house. With the iPhone 3G I did the same, it took 2 days but I had to go to the store to pick it up.

Also, Apple stores get more stocks. Both times my local AT&T stores each got 30 units total for the first day.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if I'll do the lines this time especially because the 3g is good enough. A camera and digital compass isn't going to move me like that. I may actually go the direct fulfillment route; but who knows, only time will tell. For the 3g, I stood in line because I had just came back from a club with friends and we all (6 of us) wanted an iPhone. The 2g, I was able to stroll in an Apple store and buy it, no waiting.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I think everyone should go the order route... that way nobody is in line ahead of me! I'm most likely sleeping in my car the night before in the AT&T parking lot for a guaranteed first in line. I'm actually looking forward to the experience.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Eh it really depends on your area. I live in the Chicago area. We were at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL for launch. There were several thousand people that went in and out of that store that day. We were there at opening (3rd in line) and my best friend went at 6pm when she got off work and said they still had plenty. She had to wait a good 2 1/2 hours but she got one no problem.

But yes, ATT stores will have less stock (the AT&T in woodfield mall ran out opening day, the apple store never did).

If you live in a rural or less than metro area, odds are you'd better get there early, if not, you should be good and probably don't have to wait at a crazy time.

Jeep14

Feb 12, 2009
Visit site
Eh it really depends on your area. I live in the Chicago area. We were at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL for launch. There were several thousand people that went in and out of that store that day. We were there at opening (3rd in line) and my best friend went at 6pm when she got off work and said they still had plenty. She had to wait a good 2 1/2 hours but she got one no problem.

But yes, ATT stores will have less stock (the AT&T in woodfield mall ran out opening day, the apple store never did).

If you live in a rural or less than metro area, odds are you'd better get there early, if not, you should be good and probably don't have to wait at a crazy time.

It's funny...I went to the AT&T store on launch day downstairs at Woodfield to try and get one...they were completely sold out...and because I was with VZW at the time...it never really occured to me to head to the Apple store that day...I figured they were out too. I now have an Apple store in Deerpark which is 5 minutes from me.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I was in line at 4 AM to get mine in downtown Chicago at an AT&T store. In the pouring rain. As much as I will want a new one (if released of course!) I will wait until the weather cooperates or the lines die down. I'm getting too old for this %^#%@^%!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro