TiPb Birthday Bash: G-Map East & West Great American Give Away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Entering this contest counts as an entry in TiPb's Birthday Bash grand-prize draw for an Unlocked ColorWare iPhone 3G!

G-Map for iPhone, in both US East and West flavors ($24.99 each - gone on record with his love for this app:

I have been using G-Map US East for the iPhone now for a couple of months. Why wait for FULL GPS Navigation with Turn-by-Turn with Software 3.0 when you can have it now. All that is lacking is the audible cue to turn, but it has excellent visual cues. Easy to use and fast calculations make this one a winner! The developer says they will add Audible Turn-by-Turn with Software 3.0. Did I mention that Internet access is not required? That?s right, all of the maps are on your hard drive with no subscription!

With slick features like real 3D junction view, there?s nothing else like it for short hauls or cross-country road trips alike. Which brings us neatly to our first, and maybe one of our most challenging TiPb Birthday Bash contests!

• Great American iPhone Photo

Inspired by babydol?s idea, post (i.e. attach using the paper-clip icon) a photo of your iPhone *IN THIS THREAD* that best shows where it?s been, where you want it go, or just how you feel about traveling the United States. Be majestic, be funny, be creative. (And yes, Photoshop is fine too.)

Give us that EPIC moment of iPhone Americana, and we?ll pick five (5) of you to give promo codes for BOTH G-Map East & West (that?s $50 worth of apps!), courtesy of XROAD.

Contest details:

• Access to the US App Store required to redeem promo codes
  • Contest runs from today, Thursday May 7, to 12pm EDT Monday May 11
  • One entry per day, per person.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh this is the one I want to win, I've been salivating over Xroad for awhile now!

Just a couple questions..

1. My iphone is my only camera, so I've gotta borrow another to take thise pics? Or maybe bring a mirror with me?

2. And how do I show a picture of where it's been? :confused:

It's late, maybe I'm just in a fog right now..:confused::cool:

AreJay

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Pure Luck ?

Hello All,

Here's somewhere you don't want your iPhone to visit, like mine recently did, after only owning it for 13 days AND it happened on Friday the 13th!

TeaPhone.jpg

Yes this photoshop-ed, I couldn't take a real pic cause at the time my iPhone was in the cup!

... so where did I go after that, here's the story and how it all happen.

I'm in a dead sleep & I get a text at 6am (I usually don't get up till about 7:30am). I don't generally get text's or calls this early, regardless... I reach over to the night stand without looking, grab my phone, attempt to lift it over my cup of ice tea from last night and it hits the top rim of the cup, and SPLASH! :eek: I wasn't in a dead sleep anymore! :mad: I grab the phone out of the cup as fast as I can, grab a towel and start banging it against a small hand towel (in my hand) to get the tea out of it. Oh, and the cup was about 1/3 full at the time my iPhone took a dive. After about 10-15 minutes of doing this, I try and use it... nothing, no power, nothing! :confused: I try hitting it against the towel for about 10-more minutes, try for power... YES, we got power! OK, I open Safari, YES, opens fine, visit a site, YES, works fine! I hit the "Home" button to close it... nothing! I hit the home button a few more times... nothing! Power it off, back on, open my email, works fine, hit home button to close, no response still? Home button is dead! So... back to hitting it on the towel, trying to get every drop out. After another 15-minutes, I try again... everything but the home button works! :(

I get ready for work & head out. All day at work, I tried about 100-times and I was able to get the home button to respond twice, on my break I called up AT&T, told them my home button wasn't working (I was going to disclose the tea incident, but after google-ing what had happened I decided not to mention the tea incident as they would see this "water strip" (water strip that goes from white to pink when wet) when I brought it in anyways). When I got there, they just plugged it into a PC, did a restore back to factory defaults, then told me after it not working to call Apple! :mad: I argued for a bit, got no where, then headed out. Did they bring up or look at the "water strip", nope? So, I got in my friends car asked to use her phone and made my appointment with Apple for the next day (the nearest store was about 2-hours from where I live & work, but I love my iPhone so I didn't care). Once again, I didn't mention the tea incident, just that the home button didn't work, as I figured from my research, they'd see the water strip?

Next day: So, I get to the store 5-minutes before my appointment, as soon as I walk in I hear my name being called, I stroll back to the "Genius Bar" (this being my first time in an Apple Store, I got a kick out of this "Genius Bar"). So, I hand my 14-day old iPhone 3G over the the Genius... he does a factory restore just like AT&T, starts rapidly pressing the home button... then says "yeah, somethings messed up". He then grabs a little screw driver and this is where I think, "uh oh, here we go". I start thinking what am I gonna say as to why I didn't mention it was dropped in a cup of tea, I decide, I'll play dumb. I turn around to avoid eye contact and see this HOT MILF fixing one of her twins shirts (twins as in two kids about 4/5 years old, not the twins under her chin) and you can see through her dress a lovely g-string, so for a brief moment my mind is off me getting ready for my bad news. I turn back around and the guy hands me a paper to sign, I sign it, glance at what he's going but his back is toward me, I figure he's disassembling it, then turn back around to check out sexy mama till she walked out shortly there-after.

Back to reality... I start thinking maybe they'll be able to send it out for repair or something (at this point I was trying to think of any positive thought). Then, to my ABSOLUTE SUPRISE, he turns around with a box in hand, opens it and there's another iPhone in it. He takes my SIM card out of my phone and put's it in the other one and tells me, "Ok buddy, your set" to which I reply, "really, that's it" and he says "yep". I grab my stuff as fast as I could and walked out of there like there was no tomorrow!!!

AreJay

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a jailbroke iPhone and use xGPS. That has turn-by-turn directions. I'd like to G-map and compare. xGPS is kinda flaky and does crash on occasion.

Plus in 3.0, I might not Jailbreak my phone (or at least consider not to jailbreak. haha).

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Quick replies/comments:

1. Yes, post pictures in this thread.
2. No links, actually attach each photo you want to enter to the thread using the attach icon above (looks like a paper-clip).
3. Off topic posts will be nuked at the discretion of the mods.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Here I am trying to replicate a statue in San Diego. I used my Mountain Dew Bottle to emulate the sword and the iPhone was the "book" he was carrying. Coolest thing about this photo is that the land to the left of the statue is California and the land to the right is Mexico.

The other 2 photos attached are taken from the same place...just not of me mocking the statue!

travist6983

May 7, 2009
Visit site
me and my iPhone in Maui

so i am sitting at this Luau in Maui and i think to my self if they are every going to be giving away prizes i could get these girls to wear these TiPB shirts i had made and i could win a prize. so yes yes i had to photoshop ;) my iphone with dock into the picture since i was taking this picture with my iphone.

Keep up the great work TiPB

thanks
tipb.jpg

The Reptile

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
I was going for 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'. Fortunately for me I didn't have to leave my neighborhood. Yes, taken with the poor optics on the iPhone 3G. Guess it's serviceable after all.

mail

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Bah! Why couldn't this have been up last week!? I was at the beach and could have had someone take some shots of me lying on the beach with my iPhone. I'll figure something out.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone and I have been everywhere! It even time travels. Here let me show you. :D

The 1st picture is a picture of my good friend Neil Armstrong. He took a trip to the moon, and asked me if I wanted to tag along.

The 2nd picture is of my iPhone on a cruise in Hawaii.

nickpav

May 2, 2009
Visit site
first picture: my iphone in elementary school
second: middle school
third: my iphone and my high school
forth: my iphone in front of the college i want to go to
fifth: new zealand. i want to move there when im out of college and have money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online