Time for M1

Ryan ODonnell

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a refurbished iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd Generation (WiFi +4G, 512GB) from 2017 since March this year, and really loved the device. However, the iPad was starting to "die" on me, and was starting to become unreliable.

The last time I owned a MacBook was around 2016/2017, and this was a late 2011 MacBook Pro with a Core i5 and 4GB RAM. This was the first Mac I had owned, and loved it for what it could do for my needs. I saw the latest Apple keynote and the new Apple Silicon really intrigued me.

When my iPad Pro died, I initially looked at the newer iPad Pro devices, alongside the Magic Keyboard with trackpad. By the time I had it all configured, it actually costed more than an entry level MacBook with an M1 SoC.

I saw the reviews of the new M1 devices, and was blown away by how the performance seemed.

Now, I could have gone with a MacBook Air. I like my video editing and photo editing, a lot.

I chose the MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage. Why's this?
I chose this Mac because of three things: the touch bar, the fans and the extra GPU core.

I know the Touch Bar gets hate, but I kinda like it, it's a niche feature.
The fans, I'm gonna need those for a lot of sustained performance.
The extra GPU core will further help performance in editing like this.

So, I'm making the jump back over to a Mac, further expanding my collection in the Apple ecosystem (I recently purchased an iPhone 12 128GB and Apple Watch SE Aluminium 44mm. I also own 2 Apple TV HD boxes).

Screenshot 2020-11-25 004706.png

Who else has ordered an M1 Mac? And if you've already got one, what's your experience on it like so far? I'd love to hear it :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is an excellent and well-written post. Kudos to you and I think you made the right decision.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Yes, like @Just_Me_D stated, very well written post.

I too, would like a new M1. Alas, currently on the fence.

A friend has let me borrow a MBA early 2015, with 8GB memory and 256GB PCIE drive. The little device performs well.
From time to time, an app might take 3-4 'bumps' before opening. Besides that, it works well.

Those new M1's look and 'sound' nice. Ideally, from a longevity perspective, I would like to purchase a MBP. However, I feel that Touch Bar would drive me insane. In all honestly, I have never used a Touch Bar on a MBP. But, I am also one that likes to have simplicity, and everything at my finger tips. Just not fond of the Touch Bar.

Hmm, let's see what the coming days bring. After all, Black Friday is around the corner, and I might be swayed (not sure by whom), to make a purchase - LOL